Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

legrand
Helper I
Helper I

Average stock through movements

Hi,

after reading hours of other threads and not coming to a conclusion I have to open yet another inventory thread.

I got a table with stock movements :

10.10.2017-1.
10.10.2017-13.
10.10.2017-1.
10.10.2017-1.
12.10.2017-1.
12.10.2017-1.
12.10.2017-1.
12.10.2017-1.

and so on. I uploaded the full sample table here. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the most precise way to calculate the average stock would be to create a calculation like this:

01.10 - 03.10. = 3 days with 0 stock

04.10. - 08.10. = 4 day with 56 stock

09.10. = 1 day with 90 stock

10.10. - 11.10. = 2 day with 84 stock

12.10. = 1 day with 4 stock

...and so on divided by the days after the article was put into stock.

I hope, this seems logical. Is it possible to create a measure of the average stock for the whole time (several months or years) after the article initially was put into stock?

I also got a datetable relationship and a article table relationship. The measure has to work when it's grouped by article.

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @legrand

I think this is getting pretty close to your spreadsheet.

I created a new calculated table that I could add missing dates and apply a running total to.

New Table = 
VAR Date1 = GENERATE(CALENDAR(DATE(2017,10,1),DATE(2017,12,1)),VALUES('Table1'[Article]))
VAR Step1 = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Table1'[Article],'Table1'[Date],"Q",SUM(Table1[Quantity]))
VAR Step2 = NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN(SELECTCOLUMNS(Date1,"Date",[Date]+0,"Article",[Article]),SELECTCOLUMNS(Step1,"Date",[Date]+0,"Article",[Article],"Quantity",[Q]))
RETURN  ADDCOLUMNS(Step2,"Column to Average",VAR s = CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Quantity]),FILTER('Table1',[Date]<=EARLIER([Date]) && [Article] = EARLIER([Article])))return if(s=BLANK(),0,s))

This gave me a column that I could easily average using a visual

average.png

Here is a link to a PBIX file that contains your data, my code and the visual

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtDlC2rep7a-oX7_Ag9RNSNZVZnA

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @legrand

Would it be possible to show the expected outcome?  Feel free to use EXCEL and share the excel formula.  This will help port to DAX.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Phil,

i hope this helps. I didn't find a more elegant way than creating a separate column for each article.

Many thanks!

HI @legrand

I think this is getting pretty close to your spreadsheet.

I created a new calculated table that I could add missing dates and apply a running total to.

New Table = 
VAR Date1 = GENERATE(CALENDAR(DATE(2017,10,1),DATE(2017,12,1)),VALUES('Table1'[Article]))
VAR Step1 = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Table1'[Article],'Table1'[Date],"Q",SUM(Table1[Quantity]))
VAR Step2 = NATURALLEFTOUTERJOIN(SELECTCOLUMNS(Date1,"Date",[Date]+0,"Article",[Article]),SELECTCOLUMNS(Step1,"Date",[Date]+0,"Article",[Article],"Quantity",[Q]))
RETURN  ADDCOLUMNS(Step2,"Column to Average",VAR s = CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Quantity]),FILTER('Table1',[Date]<=EARLIER([Date]) && [Article] = EARLIER([Article])))return if(s=BLANK(),0,s))

This gave me a column that I could easily average using a visual

average.png

Here is a link to a PBIX file that contains your data, my code and the visual

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtDlC2rep7a-oX7_Ag9RNSNZVZnA

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Phil,

many thanks, didn't have time to test your solution until now...

I tried to transfer your solution to my data but I'm running into a potential error resulting in showing the same strange value in all rows. Maybe you can spot the mistake!

Best

Henry

unnamed.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.