Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LisaB
Helper III
Helper III

Average on distinct values + filter

Hi,

I would like to calculate the average value based on distinct values. However, it seems like my filters on page level messes things up:

Filters: Status = Active, Item No: 100||200||300

Contract header
No (unique)Status
CON001Active
CON002Active
CON003Inactive
CON004Active

Contract invoicing lines

Contract NoItem NoLine Amount
CON00110010 000
CON0011012 000
CON0023003 000
CON0031004 000
CON0031011 000
CON00420050 000
CON00420120 000

Result should be: (10 000 + 3 000 + 50 000) / 3 = 21 000

Also, if I put an additional filter on item no 200 the average should change to 50 000.

Please let me know if something is unclear.

Thanks 

Lisa

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@LisaB ,

The dax above needs to achieve/compare previous row but there's no row number in your original table, so we need to add an index from 0 or 1 as row number.

For Line Amount you want to achieve is always the first row in each Contract No, so we should also rank the rows in each Contract No using index column.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuta-msft ,

thank you for the clarification.

I don't think this formula will work for this case since there might be contracts when there is an active contract that does not include any of the ARR items. It might also be an inactive contract that include an ARR item. So only taking the first item (rank =1) will give the incorrect result.

Lisa

Hi,

I have attached an example file showing my report.

I wish to show the average based on the page and report level filters. However, I would the average value to change if filtering by clicking on a bar in the chart.

Hope this clarifies.

Thank you.

Lisa

Average_example

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@LisaB ,

Why does the Item No 101 and 201 not included? Could you please clarify more logic about this?

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuta-msft,

The value I want to calculate is the average ARR. Items 101 and 201 are not included in the defintion of the ARR. Hope this clarifies.

Thanks.

L

@LisaB ,

Firstly, build a relationship between two tables like below:

2.PNG

Secondly, add an index column in table 'Contract invoicing lines', then create a calculate column using DAX below:

Rank = RANKX(FILTER('Contract invoicing lines', 'Contract invoicing lines'[Contract No] = EARLIER('Contract invoicing lines'[Contract No])), 'Contract invoicing lines'[Index], , ASC, Dense)

3.PNG Finally, create a slicer based on status column and create a measure in 'Contract invoicing lines' table:

Result = CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Contract invoicing lines'[Line Amount]), FILTER('Contract invoicing lines', 'Contract invoicing lines'[Rank] = 1))

1.PNG 

Hi @v-yuta-msft ,

Thanks. Could you, if possible, please explain the functionality of index and what the rank formula does?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.