cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Average of %

Hello,

Is there a way to get average of a meassure. I have a growth rate YoY by countries, is it possible to get AVG Growth Rate Yr over Year by Country?

2018-11-24_9-26-45.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Average of %

You need a matrix, not a table.

temp.png

Then you need your formula to return nothing in year 2, otherwise your 100% in year 2 will skew the numbers.  Here is a formula

Prct Change Population = sumx(VALUES(Calender[Year]),
                            Var PY =  [Tot Pop Prv Yr]
                            return if(PY<>0,DIVIDE(([Total Pop] -  [Tot Pop Prv Yr]),[Total Pop],0)))

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Sorry, that was a silly mistake. Just change sumx to averagex 

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

10 REPLIES 10
Super User
Super User

Yes it is possible. The cause is a bit hard to understand when you first start out. I have written a blog SUM vs SUMX that explains it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattAllingtonCould not find teh solution in your blog.

Super User
Super User

If you post a sample workbook, I will take a look. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Super User
Super User

You need a matrix, not a table.

temp.png

Then you need your formula to return nothing in year 2, otherwise your 100% in year 2 will skew the numbers.  Here is a formula

Prct Change Population = sumx(VALUES(Calender[Year]),
                            Var PY =  [Tot Pop Prv Yr]
                            return if(PY<>0,DIVIDE(([Total Pop] -  [Tot Pop Prv Yr]),[Total Pop],0)))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awsome

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattAllingtonChange in % is sum of all Percentages of Each Country. Example: Afghanistan Shows 14.41%. but actual average of 5 years should be

3.26 + 3.13 + 2.90 + 2.65 + 2.46 = 14.4 / 5 ( = 2.88). Is there a way to achive this?

Thanks

Super User
Super User

Sorry, that was a silly mistake. Just change sumx to averagex 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MattAllingtonis it possible to also Rank by % Change in Population, when I use RankX it gives me 1 for every row.

Rank by Prct Change = RankX(ALL(Population), [% Change in Population], , DESC)

I deally I would like user to provide # like Top 3, Top 5 etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 249 members 2,738 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: