Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SamsonAnalytics
Frequent Visitor

Average of the last 6 months

Hello everyone,

I have a table with employee ID, Date and Expense. I need to know who is spending money in a consecutive period of 6 months starting from TODAY (this must be updated automatically), and in average how much are they spending monthly.

This is my data:

cap.PNG

In this case employee 002 is in red because is the only one that had expenses for 6 consecutive months starting from today (09/27/2019). Since his average monthly expenses were:

cap2.PNG

I'm expecting an output like this

cap3.PNG

Any ideas on how to obtain it?

I already try this:

6MonthAvg = CALCULATE(SUM('TableName'[Expense Amount]), DATESINPERIOD('TableName'[Expense Date], DATEADD(LASTDATE('TableName'[Expense Date]),0, MONTH), -6, MONTH))/DISTINCTCOUNT('TableName'[_Month])

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @SamsonAnalytics 

Take a look at the attached file.  I added a date table so we can use it to count months then a couple measures to get our amount.

One to calc the 6 month amount per employee and then anothe to correctly sum that amount.

Avg 6mo continuous = 
VAR _6MonthDates =
    DATESINPERIOD ( Dates[Date], TODAY (), -6, MONTH )
VAR _MonthsInLast6 =
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( SUMMARIZE ( Dates, Dates[Month Year] ) ),
        Expenses,
        _6MonthDates
    )
RETURN
IF ( 
    ISINSCOPE ( Expenses[Employee ID] ) && _MonthsInLast6 = 6,
        CALCULATE ( AVERAGEX ( VALUES ( Dates[Month Year] ), [Expense] ), _6MonthDates ),
        BLANK()
)
6mo continuous totaled = SUMX ( VALUES ( Expenses[Employee ID] ), [Avg 6mo continuous] )

I could not get the first measure to sum correctly, the is why I used a 2nd one for the totaling.

6moConsecutive.jpg

My sample file is attached for you to look at.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You may download my PBI file from here.

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi Ashish_Mathur,

I downloaded your attached file but I couldn't make the measure work. Not even with the example that you left me in the first tab.

I tried to use the same measure with my data and I couldn't either.

Thank you for the interest in helping me.

Hi,

Check both those tables and review the relationships.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You to put condition in month count too

6MonthAvg = CALCULATE(SUM('TableName'[Expense Amount]), DATESINPERIOD('TableName'[Expense Date], DATEADD(LASTDATE('TableName'[Expense Date]),0, MONTH), -6, MONTH))
/if (CALCULATE(distinctcount('TableName'[_Month]), DATESINPERIOD('TableName'[Expense Date], DATEADD(LASTDATE('TableName'[Expense Date]),0, MONTH), -6, MONTH))
=6 ,CALCULATE(distinctcount('TableName'[_Month]), DATESINPERIOD('TableName'[Expense Date], DATEADD(LASTDATE('TableName'[Expense Date]),0, MONTH), -6, MONTH))
,blank()
)
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @SamsonAnalytics 

Take a look at the attached file.  I added a date table so we can use it to count months then a couple measures to get our amount.

One to calc the 6 month amount per employee and then anothe to correctly sum that amount.

Avg 6mo continuous = 
VAR _6MonthDates =
    DATESINPERIOD ( Dates[Date], TODAY (), -6, MONTH )
VAR _MonthsInLast6 =
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( SUMMARIZE ( Dates, Dates[Month Year] ) ),
        Expenses,
        _6MonthDates
    )
RETURN
IF ( 
    ISINSCOPE ( Expenses[Employee ID] ) && _MonthsInLast6 = 6,
        CALCULATE ( AVERAGEX ( VALUES ( Dates[Month Year] ), [Expense] ), _6MonthDates ),
        BLANK()
)
6mo continuous totaled = SUMX ( VALUES ( Expenses[Employee ID] ), [Avg 6mo continuous] )

I could not get the first measure to sum correctly, the is why I used a 2nd one for the totaling.

6moConsecutive.jpg

My sample file is attached for you to look at.

Hi jdbuchanan71 this worked perfectly as I needed.

Thank you!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.