Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

forti4040
Helper III
Helper III

Average of delta between two distinct counts

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to Power BI and have a question about the correct approach to getting a desired value. 

Below is a screenshot of some data I loaded to a stacked bar chart. I'd like to create a card that reflects the average monthly delta between the two separate groups in the chart. I can't figure out how to do this with calculated columns and/or measures. 

Sample

The basic math is shown below, I just don't know how to do it in DAX / Power BI. 

Math

Any help would be appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@forti4040,

You may refer to measure below.

Measure =
AVERAGEX ( Table1, Table1[Group 1] - Table1[Group 2] )
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft Thank you for the quick response.

I followed your instructions, and added count( in front of each group as these are columns with date values and just looking for count. Unfortunately I'm not getting the correct values in the math and am not clear as to why. 

The below formula should return 2 since 6-1 = 5, 2-3 = -1 and the average of 5 & -1 = 2. 

LoadingBalance = AVERAGEX( Projects, COUNT(Projects[Group1]) - COUNT(Projects[Group2]) )

But as you can see from the card that I overlayed on the graph it is returning 0. Not clear as to why. Any help would be appreciated. 

Untitled4.jpg

@forti4040,

You may check link below.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Change-table-visualization-total/m-p/323290#M144103

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft & @nickchobotar,

Thank you both for your help on this. I've got some other visualizations that have taken priority at the moment so will have to get back to tackling this once those are complete. I will look at both of your responses to see what I can come up with. @nickchobotar I did try to create a quick excel file to reflect the issues I'm having but couldn't quite get there. Seems as though I need to troubleshoot my file a bit more. 

Regards,

Eric

@forti4040

With the COUNT() you are taking an averarge of 0 by saying give me 2 - 2.  Just  skip the COUNT.  

AVERAGEX( Projects, Projects[Group1] - Projects[Group2] )

N -

@nickchobotar thanks for the input.

When I don't include the COUNT function I get a returned value in the hundreds (which is why I assumed it was adding the dates vs. a count of them). Thoughts?

Untitled5.png

@forti4040

Not sure. You thinnk you could post a data sample here.

N -

@nickchobotar

Unfortunately I'm pulling from my companies SQL servers and all the data is confidential. I'll see if I can build a quick sample version with excel to see if it does the same thing though. 

Regards,

Eric

@forti4040  Sounds like a plan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.