Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Peavey
Helper II
Helper II

Average of colums in Direct Query

In import mode I just make a new column with the average calculation, but now in Direct Query I cannot use average when making a expression for a new column. What is the best approach to acheive this?

Capture.JPG

Thanks,

-A-

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Peavey , You have to think the same in terms of measure.

In case it is simple Avg

Avg Measure =  Average(Table[A])

If that was a calculation at the row level , try like

Avg Measure = AverageX(Table,Divide(Table[A],Table[B]))

@amitchandakclose but not quite. 

I have 10 rows I need to average. Tried your solution and it works on fex. 2 rows. But when trying all 10, I get the error message: Internal error: An expression services limit has been reached. Please look for potentially complex expressions in your quesry, and try to simplify them.

Any ideas?

@Peavey , this a complex formula for 10 rows?

How many rows does the table have ?

@amitchandakthere are 10 tables with 62 rows. 

One row is one week. I need the average on each week from each table.

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@Peavey ,

You can't create calculated column in PBI with Direct Query mode. But you can create measure. There are some limitations please refer the below image and link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about

Capture.PNG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

@Peavey ,

For more deets, please refer the below link;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/dax-formula-compatibility-in-direc...

Capture.PNG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.