Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Peavey
Helper II
Helper II

Average of colums in Direct Query

In import mode I just make a new column with the average calculation, but now in Direct Query I cannot use average when making a expression for a new column. What is the best approach to acheive this?

Capture.JPG

Thanks,

-A-

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Peavey , You have to think the same in terms of measure.

In case it is simple Avg

Avg Measure =  Average(Table[A])

If that was a calculation at the row level , try like

Avg Measure = AverageX(Table,Divide(Table[A],Table[B]))

@amitchandakclose but not quite. 

I have 10 rows I need to average. Tried your solution and it works on fex. 2 rows. But when trying all 10, I get the error message: Internal error: An expression services limit has been reached. Please look for potentially complex expressions in your quesry, and try to simplify them.

Any ideas?

@Peavey , this a complex formula for 10 rows?

How many rows does the table have ?

@amitchandakthere are 10 tables with 62 rows. 

One row is one week. I need the average on each week from each table.

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@Peavey ,

You can't create calculated column in PBI with Direct Query mode. But you can create measure. There are some limitations please refer the below image and link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about

Capture.PNG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

@Peavey ,

For more deets, please refer the below link;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/dax-formula-compatibility-in-direc...

Capture.PNG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.