Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Average of all Standard Deviations cannot summarise correctly

Hello everyone,

hopefully someone could help on the below.

I am trying to calculate the Standard Deviation(SD) of all the Sales at SKU level across all the dates we are looking at and then get the Average of all these Standard Deviations.

The measure created calculates the right thing at row level (so for store 5 item 1001027 indeed SD is 2.47 but then when you take the total shown on bottom what PowerBi does is it calculates SD across all Sales recorded for this line in all the stores.  Should be 0.92 but calculates 3.68 instead( please see images below).

My SD formula is the below and we are unsure how to get it to take the average of the results; we tried adding CALCULATE(AVERAGE) but does not work and think we cannot do at column level as SD needs to look across all dates.

SD = STDEVX.P(SUMMARIZE('scdm RPT_FORECAST_STOCK_SALES_ITEM_STORE_WLY','scdm RPT_FORECAST_STOCK_SALES_ITEM_STORE_WLY'[ITEM_CODE],'scdm RPT_FORECAST_STOCK_SALES_ITEM_STORE_WLY'[STORE_NUMBER],'scdm RPT_FORECAST_STOCK_SALES_ITEM_STORE_WLY'[WEEK_ENDING_DATE]),CALCULATE(SUM('scdm RPT_FORECAST_STOCK_SALES_ITEM_STORE_WLY'[POTENTIALSALES_EXCL_TAF])))

Any ideas to get the correct total as an average of all the Item-Store level across all dates SD would be very helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

Result I get(incorrect total)Result I get(incorrect total)Actual Avg SD of all SD if calculated in ExcelActual Avg SD of all SD if calculated in Excel

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Get rid of the last Calculate and see if that helps any. If not, post your sample data in a usable format.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks you I tried it but gives SD of 0 when I remove calculate.

Please note I  am using direct query instead of import but all my data for the SD calculations are within 1 table.

Not sure how to attach the file in the forum. i have created a dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3rf1soj507sptmwdw5e3s/1001027-SD-Example.xlsx?dl=0&rlkey=3h44owsiyjsh...

In your Excel file you are just averaging column M, regardless of the store sums per week. Isn't that skewing the result?  What are you actually trying to measure?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it would skew the result but comparing that witha Average sales across stpres is slightly better than taking teh total sales and total average irrespective of store average. Ultimately I would need to calculate the safety stock at Item-Store level to allow me to get to 2SD away from that store's average sales. But I need it to also aggregate correctly at a total level.

Many thanks

Dimitra

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.