Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Average of Totals on Report

I have the following data records where AvgPrice is an added column in the dataset and QTYCWT is the weight of all similar products on the order:

Customer  Product  Order#   OrderTotal   QTYCWT  AvgPrice  
JJFoods     1,2,3        1203       $248.59        10.50       $23.68  
JJFoods     2,3,4        1205       $340.46        10.50       $32.42  
JJFoods     1,3           1256       $122.24          3.50       $34.93  
JJFoods     2,4           1288       $331.98          7.00       $47.43  

When I use "AvgPrice = CALCULATE((SUM(Query1[OrderTotal]))/(SUM(Query1[QTYCWT])))", it defaults to "Sum" which is adding all the AvgPrice's together. When I change it to "Average" of AvgPrice I get $34.61 when I roll up the total for "JJFoods" in a report. This PowerBI formula returns the average of the AvgPrice = 34.61, which makes sense. 

However, I would like to get the average of the totals per customer like below (1043.27/31.5 = 33.12 dollars per CWT)    
Customer   Product  OrderTotal   QTYCWT  AvgOfTotal  
JJFoods      1,2,3,4     $1,043.27     31.50       $33.120

What formula would I use so that AvgPrice calculates the correct average based on the total for the customer instead of the average of the averages for each line item (or each record)?

Thanks,

Kelly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I've solved it. I've created a measure called TtlSales=SUM(Query1[LineTotal]) and TtlCWT=SUM(Query1[QTYCWT]), which is total Weight. Then created a column called AvgPrice = TtlSales/TtlCWT. The average of this AvgPrice creates the actual average of the totals per customer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Check out the technique here, I believe it is relevant. Essentially, I think you will need to use a SUMMARIZE in your measure.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Design-Pattern-Groups-and-Super-Groups/ba-p/138149

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I was thinking of using SummarizedColumns but wasn't sure how to structure the syntax. Everything I tried didn't work - gave syntax error. So then I tried using SUM on the columns but this just gave simple per line or per data record averages. Should I perform the sum as an added measure instead of an added column?

I think part of the answer might be in your link but not sure what the MIN calculation has to do with it.

The data I have is sales data for a commodity and each record includes seperate columns for customer, region (ship to zip code), size, color, grade/quality, weight sold, price received . Each record is per individual order and all items are sold by weight, but the basic commodity is the same. Trying to get average price of the total for the customer OR the size OR the color OR the grade using slicers. The slicers work great but my average price is incorrect - calculated Avg so far is not based on totals in the report summary. All of these are based on the total weight sold and prices recevied for those orders. We want to be able to slice based on the other attributes to determine where our marketing focus should be, or where are the best prices being found. On average which customer gives the best price per pount or which grade gives the best price, etc.

The MIN was just the second aggregation, so I was interested in getting the MIN of the AVERAGES. In your case, it may be more simple, just create a table using SUMMARIZE and summarize by customer with the columns of OrderTotal and QTYCWT and a calculated column of [OrderTotal]/[QTYCWT]?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gotten this far with a Summarize Table:

AvPriceTable = Summarize(Query1, Query1[LineTotal], Query1[QTYCWT], "AvPrice", (Query1[LineTotal]/Query1[QTYCWT]))

Which returns the same average for every customer. Where in the syntax do I insert my customer field to have this compile or save values per customer? Customer in this case is "Query1[CustomerName]"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I've solved it. I've created a measure called TtlSales=SUM(Query1[LineTotal]) and TtlCWT=SUM(Query1[QTYCWT]), which is total Weight. Then created a column called AvgPrice = TtlSales/TtlCWT. The average of this AvgPrice creates the actual average of the totals per customer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors