Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Average of 12 months plus last month of previous year

Hey guys,

I want to calculate an average of monthly values of GAV for a year. But instead of starting at January, start at December of the previous year and include all months of year (and for ongoing year all months to date) + december last year. It was so simple in excel, and I can't figure out a solution on PBI.
Here is a simple example of what I am trying to do:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8m312om0tfffxg/Example6.xlsx?dl=0

Any ideas how to set up the time inteligence for this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you have Year column in your table, or you use a Date table? I am using the same to show you one way

Vera_33_0-1626253015714.png

Ave = 
VAR CurY=MAX(factTable[Year])
RETURN
AVERAGEX(FILTER(ALL('factTable'),factTable[Data]>=DATE(CurY-1,12,1)&&factTable[Data]<=DATE(CurY,12,31)),[GAV])

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous 

Yes, your case is different from the simple Excel sample, so modified a little bit

Vera_33_0-1626311297835.png

Average GAV = 
VAR CurY=MAX(Dates[Year])
VAR T1 = CALCULATETABLE(ADDCOLUMNS(ALL(Dates[EndOfMonth]),"TEST",[GAV]),ALL(Dates[Year]))
RETURN
AVERAGEX(FILTER(T1,[EndOfMonth]>=DATE(CurY-1,12,1)&&[EndOfMonth]<=DATE(CurY,12,31)),[TEST])

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

Do you have Year column in your table, or you use a Date table? I am using the same to show you one way

Vera_33_0-1626253015714.png

Ave = 
VAR CurY=MAX(factTable[Year])
RETURN
AVERAGEX(FILTER(ALL('factTable'),factTable[Data]>=DATE(CurY-1,12,1)&&factTable[Data]<=DATE(CurY,12,31)),[GAV])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, thank you a lot it does seem to work with the excel data, but my PBI model has a few extra details and for some reason it does not include the december of last year it seams. I am attaching an example file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a006u6lay2mnsvl/Example7.pbix?dl=0
In this case the expected value for 2021 would be 27176766,83.

Hi @Anonymous 

Yes, your case is different from the simple Excel sample, so modified a little bit

Vera_33_0-1626311297835.png

Average GAV = 
VAR CurY=MAX(Dates[Year])
VAR T1 = CALCULATETABLE(ADDCOLUMNS(ALL(Dates[EndOfMonth]),"TEST",[GAV]),ALL(Dates[Year]))
RETURN
AVERAGEX(FILTER(T1,[EndOfMonth]>=DATE(CurY-1,12,1)&&[EndOfMonth]<=DATE(CurY,12,31)),[TEST])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked like a charm, thank you 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.