Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mluanacruz
Helper I
Helper I

Average excluding High and Low

Hi
I am trying to get the average of a measure excluding the highest and lowest numbers.

AVG x Hi/Lo =
VAR Maximum =
    MAX( [Ratio_Measure] )
VAR Minimum =
    MIN ( [Ratio_Measure] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        [Ratio_Measure] ,
        [Ratio_Measure] <> Maximum
            && [Ratio_Measure] <> Minimum)

But I keep getting this error message: "The MAX function only accepts a column reference as the argument number 1." I guess I can't take a max from a measure?

Here is a sample of my data: HERE!! 

This is my measure :
Ratio_Measure =
VAR DEV_MNT = MAX('PD_agg_perf_measures'[DEV_MONTHS])

VAR NuM = CALCULATE(SUM('PD_agg_perf_measures'[CNP_CNT_ACCOUNTING_VIEW]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('PD_agg_perf_measures'),[DEV_MONTHS]= DEV_MNT&&[ACCIDENT_DATE_YYYYMM]=MAX('PD_agg_perf_measures'[ACCIDENT_DATE_YYYYMM])))

VAR DEN = CALCULATE(SUM('PD_agg_perf_measures'[CNP_CNT_ACCOUNTING_VIEW]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('PD_agg_perf_measures'),[DEV_MONTHS]=DEV_MNT-1 &&[ACCIDENT_DATE_YYYYMM]=MAX('PD_agg_perf_measures'[ACCIDENT_DATE_YYYYMM])))

RETURN DIVIDE(NuM, DEN,0)

What is the best way I can do this?

Thanks for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mluanacruz 

A measure always returns only one aggregated value in its current context, so you are not able to use MAX or MIN to get the maximum or minimum value from a single value. 

The link of sample data is not valid, can you update the link? In addition, please explain what your Ratio_Measure does. You can share some expected output based on the sample data so that we can understand the result better. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

hi @v-jingzhang 

Thanks for the help. Here is! the updated link!
When you open the link above you will see the excel sheet with the formulas I am trying to accomplish. The Ratio_Measure is a division between the previous DEV_MONTH/ Most current DEV_MONTH:

mluanacruz_0-1666066488584.png

The expected output will be just like this picture below: * Please see formulas on the excel sheet*

mluanacruz_1-1666066554123.png

I hope this was helpful! Thanks again for your help.

Michelle

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.