Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kostas
Helper IV
Helper IV

Average by Type and Category using drill down

Hello Everyone, 

I am having an issue to calculate the total average within a matrix that I created. 

After I searched into the forum I found that I need to use the HASONEFILTER as a way to solve my issue but I am not sure on how ti syntax my measure. 

At the moment I have the following raw data table:

NameCategoryTypeValue

K

Orange 4
LOrange 6
KAppleGreen8
KAppleRed12
LPear 14
LAppleRed10

For the purposes of my analysis I created a matrix table that shows the average number of the value column by using in the rows the name and in the columns the Category and with drill down option to see the type as seems below:

NameOrangeApplePearTotal
K410 [ (8+12) / 2 ] 8 [ ( 4+ 8+12 ) / 3]
L6101410

The problem is that the total column instead of producing the average total of the categories it takes into account also the types underneath the category that I do not want to. I need for my matrix or any visuals that I will use to always calculate the total average of the available columns that the user sees instead of taking into account all the data.  Can you please assist as a way to produce the following outcome:

NameOrangeApplePearTotal
K410 [ (8+12) / 2 ] 7 [ ( 4+ 10 ) / 2 ]
L6101410

Thanks for your help in advance

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Kostas , These should you measures for table 1 and table 2

Avg Value = average(Table[Value])

Avg Value 2 = averageX(values(Table[Category]),[Avg Value])

Please provide your feedback comments and advice for new videos
Tutorial Series Dax Vs SQL Direct Query PBI Tips
Appreciate your Kudos.

Hello, 

Unfortunately that measure returns again the same values. It calculates all the values instead of returning the total only for the values shown in the table. 

I need the total to show the total average per category (e.g. (Average for apples + Average for Oranges) /2 ) and then when the user drill down to columns to see the type again to show the total average for the types. 

Thanks

@Kostas , Check if the attached file after the signature can help - Page 2

Hello, 

The only problem that occurs with the measure is that is not perfectly calculates the total in the columns when drilling down to the type but at least now I can work with those results. 

Thanks for the help 

Kostas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.