Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

melz63017
Employee
Employee

Average based on distinct values in another column

I have created a Table Visualization that counts the distinct values for a given unique id. I would like the average of the number of distinct values per unique id. 

This is what my raw data looks like.

Unique IDValue
1A
1B
2A
2A
3C

And the table visualization I want would look like this. Right now the table is only visualizing the Total Number of unique ids. 

Unique IDDistinct Values
Average1.333333

Is there a way to get the average from the table visualization? Or should I create a new measure?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @melz63017. You can get the average to display in the totals row:

DistinctValues.PNG

To get the Distinct Values measure, I started with a couple of building blocks, shown above as the first two measures.

DistinctCountValue = DISTINCTCOUNT(TableName[Value])

DistinctCountUniqueID = DISTINCTCOUNT(TableName[Unique ID])

The last measure in the table is the Distinct Values measure, which uses both of the building blocks defined above:

Distinct Values = IF(
	HASONEVALUE(TableName[Unique ID]), 
[DistinctCountValue],
SUMX(VALUES(TableName[Unique ID]), [DistinctCountValue]) / [DistinctCountUniqueID]
)

The HASONEVALUE function at the beginning of the IF statement checks if your current evaluation context has more than one distinct Unique ID value. So on the table rows that show one Unique ID each, there's one value. For a totals row, there would be multiple values (as long as you don't have your table filtered to a single Unique ID anyway).

So whenever we're on a non-totals row, the measure will do the standard calculation for the DistinctCountValue. If we're on a totals row, it will use SUMX to get the sum of each DistinctCountValue when your table is at the UniqueID level, i.e., add up 2 + 1 + 1 to get 4 in this case. Divide that by the number of count of unique IDs, and you get to 1.33.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @melz63017. You can get the average to display in the totals row:

DistinctValues.PNG

To get the Distinct Values measure, I started with a couple of building blocks, shown above as the first two measures.

DistinctCountValue = DISTINCTCOUNT(TableName[Value])

DistinctCountUniqueID = DISTINCTCOUNT(TableName[Unique ID])

The last measure in the table is the Distinct Values measure, which uses both of the building blocks defined above:

Distinct Values = IF(
	HASONEVALUE(TableName[Unique ID]), 
[DistinctCountValue],
SUMX(VALUES(TableName[Unique ID]), [DistinctCountValue]) / [DistinctCountUniqueID]
)

The HASONEVALUE function at the beginning of the IF statement checks if your current evaluation context has more than one distinct Unique ID value. So on the table rows that show one Unique ID each, there's one value. For a totals row, there would be multiple values (as long as you don't have your table filtered to a single Unique ID anyway).

So whenever we're on a non-totals row, the measure will do the standard calculation for the DistinctCountValue. If we're on a totals row, it will use SUMX to get the sum of each DistinctCountValue when your table is at the UniqueID level, i.e., add up 2 + 1 + 1 to get 4 in this case. Divide that by the number of count of unique IDs, and you get to 1.33.

Hi,

Thanks for the help. Is there a way just to show the measure (i.e. Average)? It doesn't have to show up in place of Total but I was wondering if there was formula to just get the measure. 

Thanks!

Melissa

Once the measure's created, you can drag it anywhere. You can use the one already created for the table visual, or just use the last part of that formula. If I take this version of the measure:

Distinct Values = SUMX(VALUES(TableName[Unique ID]), [DistinctCountValue]) / [DistinctCountUniqueID]

I can drop that on the report in a visual, like a card, and get this:

Measure.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.