Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Average and percentage of change for each month 2nd!

Hi, 

I have asked help to find average and percentage of change in a post for a sample data and helped me to solve the problem. However, when I tried to implement the answer to find average of last three years (same month) in an actual probelm I couldn't reach to the expected result. Would you mind give me some tips? 

Here is the original post:  

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Average-and-percentage-of-change-for-each-month-Revised-and...

Here are the PBI, Excel files for sample data:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/notqpq6nuvr779o/AABKz8BVY64DprrjrbamVC68a?dl=0 

As you see below now I used exactly the same formulas, but I failed to make it work!!! Do you what I am where I need to revise the formula? 

Avg_3LY_Same_Mth_Value =
var s=year(SELECTEDVALUE(Merge1[Date]))
var m=month(SELECTEDVALUE(Merge1[Date]))
return AVERAGEX(FILTER(ALL(Merge1),month(Merge1[Date]) =m && year(Merge1[Date]) in {s,s-1,s-2}),Merge1[Value])

666.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help! 

6 REPLIES 6
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The sample .pbix file you provided doesnt contain the information about the visuals for value and average,could you pls modify it for test?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-kelly-msft 

Sure, I did! I added some titles to make it clear. 

Hi  @Anonymous ,

After checking your .pbix file,I'm a little confused about your request.

For the dax expressions,they are all fine,and in my opinion,the results are also right.

As you have applied a filter in the year which is greater or equal to 2021,so the results are showing the values for January and February and it has impacted all the visuals,because they have interactions between.

v-kelly-msft_3-1614936516983.png

Take Jan 1,2021 for example,the last 3 years,same month should be 2021.1,2020,1,2019.1,as show below:

v-kelly-msft_4-1614936742636.png

And the average value is 27167,as show in the matrix:

v-kelly-msft_5-1614936793123.png

So what is the problem?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-kelly-msft thanks to get some time on this. There is actually - as you said - no problem with the sample data. 

But when I apply exactly the same formula in my real assignment it work differently why i got really confused: 

Avg_3LY_Same_Mth_Value =
var s=year(SELECTEDVALUE(Merge1[Date]))
var m=month(SELECTEDVALUE(Merge1[Date]))
return AVERAGEX(FILTER(ALL(Merge1),month(Merge1[Date]) =m && year(Merge1[Date]) in {s,s-1,s-2}),Merge1[Value])

(43132+26283+32971)/3=34129 not 61860 (it seems the averagex counting some other values as well!). Really have got confused! 

666.jpg

Hi @Anonymous ,

Cant tell why,it seems OK,while testing the sample data,all the results are right:

v-kelly-msft_1-1615257576778.png

Take below steps for workaround:

If you clear the selection in slicer,will the matrix returns correct values?

If not,try below measure :

Avg_3LY_Same_Mth = 
var s=SELECTEDVALUE(data[Date].[Year])
var m=SELECTEDVALUE(data[Date].[Month])
return AVERAGEX(FILTER(ALL(data),'data'[Date].[Month] =m && 'data'[Date].[Year] in {s,s-1,s-2}),data[Value])

If it returns correct values,it should be a format error.

Let me know once you get a feedback.

Best Regards,
Kelly

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can try measure like these examples

Rolling 2 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date ],MAX('Date'[Date ]),-2,MONTH))

Rolling 3 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date ],MAX('Date'[Date ]),-3,MONTH))

Rolling 2 before 2 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date ],eomonth(MAX('Date'[Date ]),-2),-2,MONTH))

Rolling 3 before 3 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date ],eomonth(MAX('Date'[Date ]),-3),-3,MONTH))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.