Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

po
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Average % and Minimum %

Hi,

Have data below for each day of week for a shop and have 7 days of data for each shop each week.

Can calculate normal % age o.k but wondering how best to calculate what the average and minimum percentage is for each shop each week.

when try do min (<%age measure>)  or average (%measure) get error

e.g below minimum would be 85.40, average would be adding the 7 percentages and diving by 7.

How can we best achieve this?

Can possibly look to use summarize to create table grouped by week and shop name but wonder if better /other approaches?

percent.pngThanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I think I have a solution. I hope I am not misunderstanding or making bad assumptions about your data structure. I have mocked up some sample data for 2 stores, A and B. Store A has two weeks of data and store B has one week of data. In the data source, there is one record per day, per store as we clarified:

Min % and Avg % - 1.PNG

Next, due of the grain of the data, we can add a calculated column for our % calc into the Power BI dataset. Typically, having % calculation columns can lead to issues with aggregation, but for our purposes we can leverage this:

Min % and Avg % - 2.PNG

I also added a "Week" calculated column based on the WEEKNUM function that we will need to use later on as well.

To get our Min % calculation, we will rely on this % calculated column we just created. Here is what I used for the syntax, which resulted in what I expected for that value:

Min % per Store per Week = MINX(FILTER(FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Store])),Data[Week]=SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Week])),Data[% Column])

The Average % has a couple of additional steps. Basically, we need to create a Numerator and Denominator value per store per week. Here is what I used for those:

Num per Store per Week = SUMX(FILTER(FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Store])),Data[Week]=SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Week])),Data[Num])

Denom per Store per Week = SUMX(FILTER(FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Store])),Data[Week]=SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Week])),Data[Denom])

Using those two fields, we can create our Avg % per store per week measure:

Avg % per Store per Week = [Num per Store per Week] / [Denom per Store per Week]

And here is the final output:
Min % and Avg % Final.PNG

Let me know if this is helpful/works for you.

Ben

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this the grain of your data? E.g. one record per day, per store? Or is your data more granular, and you intend to roll it up to this level in your visuals?

Hi

Yes we have 1 record per shop per day and 2 measures delivered and scammed delivered from which we calculate the percentage.

We wish to then show the average of these and the lowest one of these

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I think I have a solution. I hope I am not misunderstanding or making bad assumptions about your data structure. I have mocked up some sample data for 2 stores, A and B. Store A has two weeks of data and store B has one week of data. In the data source, there is one record per day, per store as we clarified:

Min % and Avg % - 1.PNG

Next, due of the grain of the data, we can add a calculated column for our % calc into the Power BI dataset. Typically, having % calculation columns can lead to issues with aggregation, but for our purposes we can leverage this:

Min % and Avg % - 2.PNG

I also added a "Week" calculated column based on the WEEKNUM function that we will need to use later on as well.

To get our Min % calculation, we will rely on this % calculated column we just created. Here is what I used for the syntax, which resulted in what I expected for that value:

Min % per Store per Week = MINX(FILTER(FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Store])),Data[Week]=SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Week])),Data[% Column])

The Average % has a couple of additional steps. Basically, we need to create a Numerator and Denominator value per store per week. Here is what I used for those:

Num per Store per Week = SUMX(FILTER(FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Store])),Data[Week]=SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Week])),Data[Num])

Denom per Store per Week = SUMX(FILTER(FILTER(ALL(Data),Data[Store] = SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Store])),Data[Week]=SELECTEDVALUE(Data[Week])),Data[Denom])

Using those two fields, we can create our Avg % per store per week measure:

Avg % per Store per Week = [Num per Store per Week] / [Denom per Store per Week]

And here is the final output:
Min % and Avg % Final.PNG

Let me know if this is helpful/works for you.

Ben

Your solution works - just one question is it possible for the mimimum filter to exclude rows which have a certain value

e.g if % measure is 0% exlcude these rows when calculating the minimum for that store for the week - finding we have some shops where no data supplied on a certian day and these skewing the minimum calculation - looking to refine to calculate the minimum for the shop that week based on where they have supplied a figure for the measure for the day

Have added another filter to start of it and 

put column<>0 and looks to work o.k.

Thanks for suggestion.

Another possibility when wish to jsut show data at store/week level could look to use is calculated measure of %age on the table and then include this twice on the table and select as average and as minimum in each case.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.