Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Average and Count in same Graph

I am not able to include sample files so I hope I can explain this correctly.  I have a table with a column that the responses can range amoung several different answers.  What I am trying to do is some of them I want to lump under the same answer but still graph off of this number.  I tried putting them together under the same response using an IF but it is adding them all together.  I am looking for an average for them.

Example

Response     Count

1b                 2

1c                 1

1e                5

1d                 4

1a                 3

I want all the 1's to be listed as 1 and instead of giving me back a total of 15 I want the average of all of them but still be able to give the counts for the remainder 2 - 7.  I hope I am explaining this well enough.  Thanks for any help you can give.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

I think you can enter to query editor to add a column to check type and filter your formula to calculate average of rows which 'isnumber' is 'true'.

Sample:

11.PNG

Query:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Isnumber", each try Number.FromText([Test]) is number otherwise false)

Result:

12.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

You can try to use below measure to modify the total row to show average count:

AVG Count =
IF (
    COUNTROWS ( 'Sample' ) = COUNTROWS ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Sample' ) ),
    AVERAGEX (
        SUMMARIZE (
            ALLSELECTED ( 'Sample' ),
            [Response],
            "Count", COUNT ( 'Sample'[Response] )
        ),
        [Count]
    ),
    COUNT ( 'Sample'[Response] )
)

11.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one problem, the field I am trying to avg and count has some numbers and string values in it.  I am only looking to average and count the number ones.  I tried filtering the visual but I am pulling this directquery and telling me average is not used.  I turned on the allwo restricted but it is still having the trouble with the string values.

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm no very clear for your description, can you please share the sample pbix file for test?

>> I am only looking to average and count the number ones. 

If you want to deal with numeric part, I'd like to suggest you enter to query editor and add a custom column to store splitted numeric part to calculate.

PowerQuery | Extract Numbers from A string (eg ABCD1234)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see how this is very useful, but my problem us the field could have an answer of a number in one row and another string, not together in the same field.

Yes

14:35

Nothing seen here

1/1/15

That is the problem.  I am just trying to average the numbers for a specific entry.

Hi @Anonymous,

I think you can enter to query editor to add a column to check type and filter your formula to calculate average of rows which 'isnumber' is 'true'.

Sample:

11.PNG

Query:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Isnumber", each try Number.FromText([Test]) is number otherwise false)

Result:

12.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did try this and it was working for on of my dashbaords, but the one I am trying to use it on is a DirectQuery and when I went into the Advanced Query Editor, it told me I could not do this adding a new query.  Am I placing this in the wrong spot on the file.  Please advise.  Thanks

HI @Anonymous,

It seems like direct query not support to add custom columns. I haven't found other ways to work through this issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.