Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Multiverse_76
Frequent Visitor

Average & Weighted Average - help needed

Hi Community

I'm seeking help with calculating an average and weighted average in my Power BI model.  The excel file below shows what I'm trying to achieve.  Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

Excel File

PBIX

3 REPLIES 3
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

The first thing I thought when I saw the data was "well, we've got to unpivot those columns" and then I looked at the transforms and see that they had just been pivoted.  So, remove that step.

You could split the 'Nominal - Dec' to get a column that indicates job role e.g. Graduate.

The 'CY Total' can then become

CY Total = CALCULATE(SUM(TableSalary[Base Amount]), TableSalary[Accounting Period] = "2019/001")

and PY Total can be re-written similarly.

%Increase can stay.

Weighted average would be

Weighted Av = [% Increase] * [CY Total]

You can pull all the relevant fields into a matrix with 'job role' in the column and employee in the rows.

All the Totals and sub-totals will give you the figures you want.

Alternatively, to see the data in more compact form, create two tables 1 - Role, weighted av, % increase

2 - Employee, Role, all the measures

------------------------------

For a more complex data set, you could implement the measures using time intelligence rather than filtering the table with hardcoded years i.e. "2019/001"

Hope that helps.

Hey @HotChilli 

I can't thank you enough. Your suggestions were spot on, nailing my issues right there.  can I be super cheeky and ask for your help again with the weighted average?  This formula:

Weighted Av = [% Increase] * [CY Total]

actually gives the answer to my NI/Share Profit calculation.  Is the Weighted Average in my Excel file doable?

Thanks!

I'll have a go.  How is it calculated?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.