Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bld
Frequent Visitor

Average Time of Day an Event Happens

I'm looking to make a card that shows the average time an event happens, but am hitting a wall in Power BI.

I have the time an event happened as well as the times it happened in 15-minute increments.  I want to show the average time the event seems to occur.  I can do this easily in Excel but am having issues in Power BI.

There is a quick measure for weighted averages but it wants to do a count of the times, not an average.

Below is an example of the data I am working with to get this average time.

TimeEvents
4:00 AM3
4:15 AM5
4:30 AM7
4:45 AM4
5:00 AM2
5:15 AM5
5:30 AM4
5:45 AM5
6:00 AM1
6:15 AM1
6:30 AM2
6:45 AM3
7:00 AM3
7:30 AM1
7:45 AM1
8:15 AM1

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

See if this works for you. We convert the time to the number of minutes from midnight, then calculate a weighted average.

Calculated Column

Time from Midnight = DATEDIFF(TODAY(), TODAY() & " " & Table2[Time], MINUTE)

Using the TIME() function with only the minutes value does all of the heavy lifting of converting number datatype to time datatype.

Measure

Average Time of Occurrence =
TIME ( 0, 
DIVIDE (       SUMX ( Table2, [Time from Midnight] * [Events] ),      SUM ( Table2[Events] ), 0),
0 )

Capture.PNG

Also be sure to format the measure with the desired time format

Hope this helps

David

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

See if this works for you. We convert the time to the number of minutes from midnight, then calculate a weighted average.

Calculated Column

Time from Midnight = DATEDIFF(TODAY(), TODAY() & " " & Table2[Time], MINUTE)

Using the TIME() function with only the minutes value does all of the heavy lifting of converting number datatype to time datatype.

Measure

Average Time of Occurrence =
TIME ( 0, 
DIVIDE (       SUMX ( Table2, [Time from Midnight] * [Events] ),      SUM ( Table2[Events] ), 0),
0 )

Capture.PNG

Also be sure to format the measure with the desired time format

Hope this helps

David

This is great! Thanks, David!

I'm getting a slight difference between Excel and Power BI.  With PBI I get 5:22 and Excel I get 5:25 but I think I'm on the right track.  I'll play around with it to see if I can figure out the difference. Might be that the PBI calc is a bit more precise cause when I look at the 4am to 5am example you provided I get the same as you did.  I'd prefer more precision anyway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.