Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GCGradwell
Helper I
Helper I

Average Services per Customer

Hi,

I am trying to generate a value which represents the average number of services which each of our customers buy.

All of the products we sell fall into 1 of 3 deparments. I want to generate a measure which sums all of the unique customers within each segment together.

For clarity:

Thread 3 img.png

In the above example, Customer 100 has bought 2 services from 1 department, 101 has bought 2 services, 1 each from different departments, 102 has bought 1 service and 103 has bought 2 from the same department.

In this case, there are 4 overall unique customers (100, 101, 102 and 103) and 5 unique customers by department (100A, 101B, 101C, 102C and 103C).

To determine average number of services per customer, I want to divide the sum of each total of unique customers by department by the number of overall unique customers.

5/4 = 1.25 average services per cusomer

Thread 3 img 2.png

I have created a look-up heirarchy in PBI using relationships where the customer ID and product are in the same table and the product's relationship to class and department are linked using relationships.

Each product belongs to a Class and each class belongs to a department (e.g. handset 2 is in the iPhone class which is in the Smartphone department). In Power BI, the products have a relationship to a different table, where each product's class is specified. The product class has a relationship to a third table where the department of each product class is specified.

I have generated the measure for overall unique customers (DISTINCTCOUNT of customer ID) but do not know how to create a measure for the unique customers by department.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GCGradwell
Helper I
Helper I

Created a new column where I used the CONCATENATE function to combine customer ID and department so that each time a customer purchased an item from different departments, it would be a unique ID-department code, but if they bought multiple products from the same departments, it would generate multiple identical ID-department codes.

I then created a new measure using DISTINCTCOUNT function on this concatenated column.

Finally, I created a new measure of Average Services per Customer = Unique customers/Unique customers by department

Thank you for your help.

Greg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GCGradwell
Helper I
Helper I

Created a new column where I used the CONCATENATE function to combine customer ID and department so that each time a customer purchased an item from different departments, it would be a unique ID-department code, but if they bought multiple products from the same departments, it would generate multiple identical ID-department codes.

I then created a new measure using DISTINCTCOUNT function on this concatenated column.

Finally, I created a new measure of Average Services per Customer = Unique customers/Unique customers by department

Thank you for your help.

Greg

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@GCGradwell

According to the relationship mapping, have you tried to create a calculated column in the Invoices table?

Department = RELATED('Product Class'[DepartMent])

It would return the related department, then you can use DISTINCOUNT('Invoices'[Department]).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.