Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowPow
Frequent Visitor

Average Order Lines Count

Hi all,

having trouble wrapping my head around a measure calculation and would appreciate some pointers.

I have power pivot model based on a data warehouse (perfect star schema). The sales fact table is linked to the sales order dimensions via a surrogate key. The fact grain is the order line. The order dimension includes the order number and the line number.

I am trying to create a measure that would give me average order lines in the chosen pivot context (date, item, customer...). I have managed to get this working but only when i use the order dimension in the pivot. I have created two measures:

Lines = AVERAGEX(VALUES('OrderDIM'[OrderNo]); DISTINCTCOUNT('OrderDIM'[OrderLineNo]))

AverageLine = AVERAGEX(DISTINCT('OrderDIM'[OrderNo]); [Lines])

I suspect my problem is that my two calculations are based of the dim table and i should somehow include the fact but i am little out of my league with DAX. Or maybe i should just bring the Order Number and Order Line to the fact table and then build a measure from there? Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Harris,

I've managed to solve it by bringing Order Number and Order Line to the fact table and then creating a measure like so:

=AVERAGEX(SUMMARIZE('fact';'fact'[OrderNo];"AVG";DISTINCTCOUNT('fact'[OrderLineNo]));[AVG])

Not sure this is the best approach but it works.

Thanks for your help,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi

I think you are making it complex. What is the reason for not using simple DistinctCounts for orders and orderlines and then divide them, something like:

AverageOrderlines = DIVIDE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[OrderlineNo]),DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[OrderNo]))

Cheers

Harris

Thanks for your answer Harris,

Your suggestion only gives me correct results when looking specifically at the order number level in the pivot. Any other aggregation level within the order dimension is wrong.

And using any other dimension in the pivot is also wrong as well. 

Regards,

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@PowPow Can you elaborate it with some screen shots, what you see now and what is correct?

Secondly the discussion here is in the context of Power BI.

Hi Harris,

I've managed to solve it by bringing Order Number and Order Line to the fact table and then creating a measure like so:

=AVERAGEX(SUMMARIZE('fact';'fact'[OrderNo];"AVG";DISTINCTCOUNT('fact'[OrderLineNo]));[AVG])

Not sure this is the best approach but it works.

Thanks for your help,

Storing order number and order line in the fact table is a legitimate star schema design (called a degenerate dimension):

http://www.kimballgroup.com/data-warehouse-business-intelligence-resources/kimball-techniques/dimens...

A dimension that has the same number of rows as a fact table is a heads up that a degenerate dimension might be useful. 

(Sorry if you already know this)

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

Thanks for your input @leonardmurphy

I am familiar with the concept of degenerate dimensions but in this particular case i had two concerns. First is that my transaction dimension actually includes several other relevant fields and hierarchies and so i can't just get rid of the dimension.

The other part is related to keeping the pover pivot model as "lean" as possible. Since data is stored by column duplicating such high cardinality columns is expensive.

For the moment i am testing on only a few million rows and haven't really noticed any performance issues but later on the full data set i might need to revisit the approach or try optimizing the model. Plenty of awsome resources about it here if interested.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.