Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Average Not Returning Correct Number

I have this table:

20.PNG 

So the highlighted number is supposed to be the average of that column. However, if I export the results and highlight the entire column from top to bottom I get a totally different number:

21.PNG

The number in the spreadsheet is what I'm looking for but I don't know how or why PBI is returning this random number that doesn't add up in the first screenshot? It could be because of grouping but I'm really not sure.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

you will need to make a measure with a Averagex.
If you only use the aggregator in your Deal Size column, the average will not work for the total amount.
It would look something like this: 

Measure = Averagex ( Values ​​(table [Producer]), CALCULATE Sum (table [Deal Size]) ) 

Sorry about my English.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
EugenioJunior
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous 

You are trying to use averagex ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EugenioJunior  No, I took a column and right clicked and clicked Average. I see what it's doing, it's taking the sum of the column that I'm averaging and calculating the average based on the # of times a person is in the table:

1.PNG

So it's taking 1,132,185.06/735 to get $1,540.39. But I don't know how to get it to NOT do that since it's doing it by default. I just want it to average the values on the right hand column without taking into account any other table info so it properly returns the correct value. I don't want it to divide by any counts, just the flat out average of the numbers in the column itself.

@Anonymous 

you will need to make a measure with a Averagex.
If you only use the aggregator in your Deal Size column, the average will not work for the total amount.
It would look something like this: 

Measure = Averagex ( Values ​​(table [Producer]), CALCULATE Sum (table [Deal Size]) ) 

Sorry about my English.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @EugenioJunior , 

I have similar (or the same problem) I'm not sure...

But, Why we should use SUM function if we want to calculate the AVERAGE?

I'm understanding that if I use VALUES (table["grouping_value") it in order to have the group of rows as 1 block.

In the example Producer.

Kim Williams 211.67

Jill Salisbury 278.76 

In my case I have the following situation:

Site and value

Site1 = 71.1

Site2 = 47.5

Site 3 = 51.4

Average that I want => 71.1+47.5+51.4 = 170 / 3 = 56.67

But the showed total is 53.9.

I try Measure = AVERAGEX (Values/Table[site];Calculate ( AVERAGE(table[value]) But the outcome is not that I want.

Could you help me?

Best regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EugenioJunior  I take that back, you were correct! My DAX wasn't. My apologies.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EugenioJunior it returned the same result of what I already had Smiley Sad

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.