Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PoojaG
Advocate I
Advocate I

Average Message per hour

Hello experts,

I am trying to calculate Average message per hour.  There were couple of similar post but none worked as per my requirement. Seems to be straight forward but not really. It can be better explained with an example.

I have a datetime table with datetime column and Hour column . Each date will have 24 rows determined by the Hour column starting from 0 to 23 as there are 24 hours in a day. Hour column is a text field as I don't want it to aggregate.  If the date range is selected from 1st May 2019 to 5th may 2019, the total hours (

SUM(DateTime[rowcount])) for each Hour column would be 5. I have another field named Count of Post from Posts table. It's a simple dax measure DISTINCTCOUNT(Posts[post_id]). 
Now, to calculate an Average message per hour, all I did was created dax column 
Avg message per hour = DIVIDE([Count of Post],[total hours],0)
 I also tried the below formula: Attached is the result set which is not correct. Please help!
Avg hour = 
VAR HOURCREATION= 
FIRSTNONBLANK(DateTime[Hour],DateTime[Hour])
RETURN
DIVIDE(
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Posts),ALLEXCEPT(DateTime,DateTime[Hour])),
COUNTROWS(
SUMMARIZE(
FILTER(ALL(DateTime),DateTime[Hour] = HOURCREATION),
DateTime[Hour])
)
)avg message per hour.PNG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PoojaG
Advocate I
Advocate I

I was able to get the desired results with the below DAX:

DIVIDE(CALCULATE(SUM(Posts[post count])),CALCULATE(SUM(DateTime[rowcount])),0)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PoojaG
Advocate I
Advocate I

I was able to get the desired results with the below DAX:

DIVIDE(CALCULATE(SUM(Posts[post count])),CALCULATE(SUM(DateTime[rowcount])),0)
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@PoojaG ,

"Measure * Measure" and "Measure / Measure" will cause complex issue. I would suggest you to convert measures [total hours] and [Count of Post] to calculate columns and then create measure using them.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

@v-yuta-msft  I converted the measure into calculated columns and then averged them, it still doesn't give me correct results.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.