Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nsadams87xx
Helper III
Helper III

Average Issue

Hey Everyone,

I'm having an issue with Power BI calculating an average.  We are tracking client arrivals to our business locations and in this visualization the label says Average arrivals by Day and Hours.  But what's actually going on is that Power BI is averaging these arrivals by Day, Hours, AND an additional data field that is not being used in this graph.  Does that sound right to anyone?

Example, if you look at the data model you'll see there are 3 combinations of Hour 20.  8 total arrivals that came in at Hour 20 for the day of Wednesday (or Jan 1, 2020), and 3 different types of arrivals, 2 of arrival type 0, 5 of type 1 and 1 of type 2.  For the visualization, shouldn't Power BI be ignoring the arrival type unless I've included it in the visualization to calculate the average?

3.JPGaverage issue 2.JPGaverage issue.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@nsadams87xx wrote:

Okay, thanks.  Yeah for Hour 20, I was expecting the visualization to calculate the average to 8.  I have a date slicer that I set to display just Jan 1, 2020.  So I thought because there was just 1 Wednesday and 1 series of Hour 20 that has happened in that time frame, Power BI would do (5 + 2 + 1) / 1 = 8.

So the "built-in" average just does a "sum of rows" divided by "count of rows" which is why you are getting (5 + 2 + 1) / 3 = 2.667

If what you want is a daily average you would have to build a measure like the following

Daily Average = SUM( Table[<arrival column>] ) / COUNTROWS( VALUES( Table[arrival_date_key] ) )

The call to VALUES() will give you a distinct list of the date keys in the current filter context. So if you are looking at 1 day it will return 1 row, if you are looking at a week it will return 7 rows etc.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@nsadams87xx wrote:

Example, if you look at the data model you'll see there are 3 combinations of Hour 20.  8 total arrivals that came in at Hour 20 for the day of Wednesday (or Jan 1, 2020), and 3 different types of arrivals, 2 of arrival type 0, 5 of type 1 and 1 of type 2.  For the visualization, shouldn't Power BI be ignoring the arrival type unless I've included it in the visualization to calculate the average?

It's hard to say without seeing the measure code, but if it is a simple AVERAGE( [arrival column] ) then it is not directly using the arrival type as a filter. All the average does is to calculate a SUM and then divide by a row count, so for hour 20 it's doing (5 + 2 + 1) / 3 = 2.667

Based on the data in the table the result makes sense to me. What result are you expecting? 

Okay, thanks.  Yeah for Hour 20, I was expecting the visualization to calculate the average to 8.  I have a date slicer that I set to display just Jan 1, 2020.  So I thought because there was just 1 Wednesday and 1 series of Hour 20 that has happened in that time frame, Power BI would do (5 + 2 + 1) / 1 = 8.

I'm also not using a measure, I'm just using the built in average feature.

built in.JPG

@nsadams87xx wrote:

So the "built-in" average just does a "sum of rows" divided by "count of rows" which is why you are getting (5 + 2 + 1) / 3 = 2.667

If what you want is a daily average you would have to build a measure like the following

Daily Average = SUM( Table[<arrival column>] ) / COUNTROWS( VALUES( Table[arrival_date_key] ) )

The call to VALUES() will give you a distinct list of the date keys in the current filter context. So if you are looking at 1 day it will return 1 row, if you are looking at a week it will return 7 rows etc.

Actually that's exactly what I did.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.