Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cplesner
Helper III
Helper III

Average Days between Orders

Hi

I'm trying to make a measure that shows the average days between orders from a specific Customer plus another measure that shows the average days between the orders of a specific Product from each Customer.

Below is the example where i have typed in the days manually, which is basically just a datediff.

Ex. Cust A order Product A for the first time on 01-01-2016. 60 Days later the same customer orders again, while the same Customer orders the same product 83 later.

Capture.PNG

Eventuelly the output should show that for example

Cust A is ordering Product A on average every 83 Days (2 Orders)

Cust A is ordering Product B on average every 32,5 Days (3 Order)

Cust A is ordering on average 31,25 Days (5 Order)

I can get these to the number by calculating the differences in SQL, but i would like to keep it in DAX

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @cplesner,

You an also create calculated columns to calculate DateDiff values based for specific customer, or both customer and product. See:

Previous-Customer = CALCULATE(MAX(Table1[Date]), (FILTER(Table1, EARLIER(Table1[Customer])=Table1[Customer] && EARLIER(Table1[Date])>Table1[Date])))

DateDiff-C = DATEDIFF('Table1'[Previous-Customer],'Table1'[Date],DAY)

Previous-PC = CALCULATE(MAX(Table1[Date]), (FILTER(Table1, EARLIER(Table1[Customer])=Table1[Customer] && EARLIER(Table1[Product])=Table1[Product] && EARLIER(Table1[Date])>Table1[Date])))

DateDiff-PC = DATEDIFF('Table1'[Previous-PC],'Table1'[Date],DAY)

q1.PNGq2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cplesner,

In your scenario, you can create two measures like below:

DateDiff-ProductCustomer = VAR currentday = MIN( Table1[Date] )
RETURN
( IF(
	ISERROR( 
DATEDIFF(  currentday,
CALCULATE( MAX( Table1[Date] ), FILTER( ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Product], Table1[Customer]), Table1[Date] < MAX( Table1[Date] ) )),DAY )),

DATEDIFF(  CALCULATE( MAX( Table1[Date] ), FILTER( ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Product], Table1[Customer]), Table1[Date] < MAX( Table1[Date] ) )),currentday,DAY) )
)

DateDiff-Customer = 
VAR currentday = MIN( Table1[Date] )
RETURN
( IF(
	ISERROR( 
DATEDIFF(  currentday,
CALCULATE( MAX( Table1[Date] ), FILTER( ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Customer]), Table1[Date] < MAX( Table1[Date] ) )),DAY )),

DATEDIFF(  CALCULATE( MAX( Table1[Date] ), FILTER( ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Customer]), Table1[Date] < MAX( Table1[Date] ) )),currentday,DAY) )
)

q1.PNGq2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun

Thanks for the answer, it works fine if you actively use the date in the pivot. However I would prefer to have it as a calculated column/calculated table so that i can do an average measure on it and i don't have to actively use the Date attribute.

I have solved it in SQL creating another table like below using Partition by and Rank, but DAX would be preffered

WITH Ranked as (

SELECT a.[Product],a.[Customer],a.[Date],

rank() over (PARTITION BY a.[Product],a.[Customer] order by a.[Date]) as rankid,

a.Amount

FROM [Table1] a

)

select

r1.[Product],

r1.[Customer],

r1.[Date],

r1.rankid,

datediff(d,r2.[Date],r1.[Date]) as DaysBetween,

1 as InvCounter

FROM Ranked r1 LEFT OUTER JOIN Ranked r2 ON

r1.[Product]=r2.[Product] and r1.[Customer]=r2.[Customer] and

(r1.rankid=r2.rankid+1)

Hi @cplesner,

You an also create calculated columns to calculate DateDiff values based for specific customer, or both customer and product. See:

Previous-Customer = CALCULATE(MAX(Table1[Date]), (FILTER(Table1, EARLIER(Table1[Customer])=Table1[Customer] && EARLIER(Table1[Date])>Table1[Date])))

DateDiff-C = DATEDIFF('Table1'[Previous-Customer],'Table1'[Date],DAY)

Previous-PC = CALCULATE(MAX(Table1[Date]), (FILTER(Table1, EARLIER(Table1[Customer])=Table1[Customer] && EARLIER(Table1[Product])=Table1[Product] && EARLIER(Table1[Date])>Table1[Date])))

DateDiff-PC = DATEDIFF('Table1'[Previous-PC],'Table1'[Date],DAY)

q1.PNGq2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Worked perfectly! thanks

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I realize this is an old post. Can you tell me if the calculated columns are supposed to work as intended if the Date field contains non-unique values. I do not seem to be getting accurate results and I suspect I am missing an agreggator due to the fact that my Date column is not unique.

Thank you

Bill

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.