Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

xppdev
Frequent Visitor

Automating Monthly updates

The monthly updates are causing an issue for us and I would like to know how others are handing.

Most of our users are not admins on their local machine. We are using SCCM to create and push out packages for the updates, but this requires manual intervention from our infrastructure team. 

Our current process involves a developer installing the update, testing, then sending the new version's install file over to infrastructure. They make a package for Software Center to update based on the power BI group.

Is there a way to push the updates automatically withouth being a local admin or a better process we should be using?

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xppdev,

To be honest, I would suggest you go to this site for help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/search?query=SCCM%20in%20Windows%2010. There are many BI experts here. But I'm afraid you can't get professional advice about the IT infrastructure or the software management of Windows.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your reply,

As I said we are using SCCM and it works, but is more complicated than it needs to be. I was looking more for some examples of how other people are handling it as the monthly updates for Power BI are different than other MS products. If they were available through WSUS, that may help, but for those companies like us where users don't have access to install software, it makes it difficult. As an example, if a user downloads a PBIX file from powerBI.com, it uses the latest version. If they are behind, they cannot use the file as some of the parts have the new functionality.

I will research other sites / forums to see what other places have to offer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.