Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mafioso
Helper II
Helper II

Automatically set values of slicer dependent on user selection

Is it possible to select values of a slicer automatically?

In my case, I have 3 options: car, train and plane. Lets assume that I choose car.

Then I have 5 choices: bmw, audi, volvo, toyota and vw. I want audi and vw to be selected automatically after pressing the car button.

Is that possible or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mafioso,

Since two fields are from the same table, the two slicers are related. Once you selected any item in first slicer, the second one will only show available selections which are matching with the selected value in first slicer. In your example, selecting "car" in first slicer will filter the second slicer that it only lists Audi, BMW and Toyota. But, automatically selected is not supported in desktop. You will see Audi, BMW and Toyota shown in second slicer without being selcted. However, by default, if there isn't any value selected in slicer, the related visual will consider this behavior the same as "select all" and display all data records in visual.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

I'm not totally sure if I understand what you mean by "... pressing the car button", but I guess you can give the booksmark feature a try: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-bookmarks

Hopefully this gets you started

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

I have currently 2 slicers. As I mentioned, one contains car, plane and train. If I choose car in the slicer then the values should be selected. 

Hey,

basically you can achieve this if you're tables are properly related.

Due to the fact that you just want to select some of the car brands selected, I guess you have to come up with a solution that is based on bookmarks.

Please consider to prepare a pbix file that contains some sample data, upload the file to onedrive or dropbox and share the link.

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi,

is it possible to automatically select all values of a slicer dependent on another slicer?

For instance if I have these lines:

car | Audi

car | BMW

car | Toyota

animal | cow

animal | dog

phone | Nokia

phone | Samsung

Lets assume I'll choose car in my first slicer, then all animals and phones disappear (because of my relation in the model). Now in the second slicer, only Audi, BMW and Toyota are shown. Is it possible to select all of them automatically after selecting car?

Hi @mafioso,

Since two fields are from the same table, the two slicers are related. Once you selected any item in first slicer, the second one will only show available selections which are matching with the selected value in first slicer. In your example, selecting "car" in first slicer will filter the second slicer that it only lists Audi, BMW and Toyota. But, automatically selected is not supported in desktop. You will see Audi, BMW and Toyota shown in second slicer without being selcted. However, by default, if there isn't any value selected in slicer, the related visual will consider this behavior the same as "select all" and display all data records in visual.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft thank you! Didn't know that they are all selected by default. Isn't really the way I first wanted to fix it but still a working solution. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.