Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatically selecting list of data numbers when a specific slicer is used

I am having trouble in relating a specific slicer to a dropdown data list.

My requirement is - With the selection of a slicer "a" , products (data) should also be filtered automatically. The data "x" is given in a list (Sharepoint) and needs to be automatically filtered from a larger dataset "y". The filter should only be applied if the data "x" is present in the list "y". If not, no filter should be set.

5 REPLIES 5
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

From your description, is there no relationship between the table where the field in your slicer is located and the table to be filtered?

With relationships between tables can they filter each other, you can refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, there is no relationship between the tables that need to be filtered. Thank you, I now understand that. Do you know anyway if we can use measures to filter out or create relationship by adding relevant calculated columns in all the tables?

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you don't want create any acitve reationship, you can use measure like

Measure = IF(MAX('Table'[ID]) in ALLSELECTED('Table (2)'[ID]),1)

11.png

Or try RELATED or USERELATIONSHIP.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the main data. I have tried to explain what I am stuck upon in this image.

I know it is not much to go with, but the image is the only way to explain as I do not have access to any other data right now. Sorry for that and thank you in advance if anyone could help me out.

@Greg_Deckler 

SlicerSelectionIssue.jpg

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Sorry, having trouble following, can you post sample data as text and expected output?
Not really enough information to go on, please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.