Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatically select the latest date in slicer (automated preselected slicer)

Hello,

I have multiple reports in which new data extract is added each month. I am currently choosing the latest extract date in the extract date slicer so I can see only the last extract data. However, due to I have many reports, it is time consuming to go to each report, go edit mode select the last date in extract date slicer and save the report. There is also the fact of human error to miss a report with the old extract date preselected.

Is there any way or a workaround that can sort this automatically? i.e. every time a new data extract is added the report to show the latest date extract data.

I am thinking, there may be a way with DAX or any other work around.

Many thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Below video shows a way to get the latest date always by storing it to text and it is always selected. Do check if it helps in your case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_MjL1Cngbs 

Regards,

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks this actually works!

I also found another source that solves the issue with a similar way. 

powerbi - Default slicer selection (latest date) in Power BI - Stack Overflow

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
webchris
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi,

could you meanwhile find a way which works in the way you want it to work?

The offered solutions limit the user's possibility to select other dates, which is my problem, too. So I would be interested in a "real" solution...

Thanks,

Christian

Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

The Below video shows a way to get the latest date always by storing it to text and it is always selected. Do check if it helps in your case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_MjL1Cngbs 

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks this actually works!

I also found another source that solves the issue with a similar way. 

powerbi - Default slicer selection (latest date) in Power BI - Stack Overflow

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for the response Pat. I forgot to mention that the users should still be able to select previous months. I believe with the solution you mentioned. Users will not be able to do this due to the IsLatestMonth filter.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I would add a Date table to your model (that automatically expands when new data are added) and either use a relative time filter on the reports, or add a column to your date table with IsLatestMonth (and filter your pages to where IsLatestMonth = "Y".

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.