Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dgwilson
Resolver III
Resolver III

Automatically change/set filter selection

Hi there...

I start my Power BI dashboard by showing users a page that I call "Select". It's primary purpose is to allow users to use a filter that shows a series of end dates. i.e. 1st July, 7th July, 14th July, 21July... etc... you get the idea. Selecting this date Sync's the filter selection to other pages.

Having users (executives) select a new date is a bit prone to "user error"... and I'd like to be able to determine what the last available date is and perform that selection automatically.

Can this be done?

What is the recommended approach to implementing?

- David

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

I'm struggling to see how to preselect a slicer value based on the most recent day, so I'll be curious to see if someone chimes in.

To make it easier for the Execs though, you can change the slicer to a "Relative" visual with the dropdown in the slicer, then set it to last 1 days. Then they have to pick the last day.

Or set it to a list in descending order. Then there is just a simple box to check.

I also know you can set it in the desktop and publish it, but you'd have to do that every day, or time period, to push it up. Not ideal....

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Interesting. Indeed selecting data for the last week works. Spot on.

The challenge comes when I want the user to select the week before that... Selecting data for the last 2 x weeks isn't as nice and the dashboard shows duplicate entries per customer.

So for useability... I return to wanting to magically (via DAX?) select the last entry in a list of dates.

- David

So for useability... I return to wanting to magically (via DAX?) select the last entry in a list of dates.

You cannot use measures as slicers, and DAX are like Excel functions. They can report data, but they cannot change anything in the file like VBA could., and there is no VBA in Power BI. At this point it might be a USERVOICE request to have slicers preset to certian data based on criteria.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Thank you for the advice. Posting to Uservoice completed.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/35044117-allow-slicers-to-be-pres...

- David

Setting it to relative is a great option!  - Last 1 week.

Testing now.

- David

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.