Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

k-k-k-k
Frequent Visitor

Automatically adds computed columns

Hi experts, I hope the table can add calculate column by the self. It should be happen after refresh and the external data like config file will trigger it. is the action possible? thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @k-k-k-k 

A table can add calculate column by the self after the dataset is loaded and a DAX formula is specified for it so that it knows what to add as a values in the column. It will happen for every refresh but external data like config file cannot trigger it.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Thank you very much! 

Just think about, whether M language can do it?  For PBI table structure extend can not be auto-complete by configurate external parameter? thanks!

HI @k-k-k-k 

"table can add calculate column by the self.It should be happen after refresh and the external data like config file will trigger it"

Can you defile self? Either DAX or M need to come into play only after the daatset is loaded.

Which config file? I am not aware of any config file on Power BI.

There is no way "external data like config file" will trigger it.

Linkedin Profile

@pranit828  Thanks, actualy the external config means data from files or other source. it's just data.  the action is drived by specific data's change when refresh. for example: when a number in source table changed from 1 to 2 , and after refreshed, the table in PBI will automantic add column . looks it is impossible.

Hi , @k-k-k-k 

Do you mean  automatically adding a step (add a custom column) to M query once it detects a change in database data?

If so, I'm  afraid that PowerBi doesn't support it currently.

For your needs, you can try to post your ideas on the idea forum. But I think it may take a long time to implement this function.

You can also ask the support team for further help, maybe they will have better suggestions

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Hi @k-k-k-k 

It is impossible for PBI to know the previuos state of data between dataset refresh.

Linkedin Profile
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@k-k-k-k , I doubt that is possible.

The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

Appreciate your Kudos.

Thanks for your reply! Is there any solution about that? I see hope.

Example: Table A in PBI model. Actually, I just want do the actions of add column to Table A  by parameter change by refresh config file, don't need operation it in power query. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.