Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatically adding measurement points to a graph when updating data sources

Hi everyBI'ers

Q: Is it somehow possible to automatically track a development on specific measurement points each time you press update for yorur data from a external source?

Example:

Let’s say a have some sales figures that are revised each 14 day. When I press “update” and collect the new data, I would like to add this number/value to a trend diagram or curve with the specific date for updating on the x-axis. I would also like to have some kind of visual indicator that the summed sales number is within an upper or lower target limit/value. Is that somehow possible to do in Power BI.

iqlYb.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous By update you mean refresh right ? If yes then data refresh within power bi is not delta but full. Therefore each time you hit refresh dataset in power bi will be replaced with what is in your data source so if in your data source historcal records are not present they won't appear in power bi. Incremental data loads (so power bi stores history records) is something suggested as an idea for power bi and you need to keep an eye here on when it will be out.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous You can now add indicators within power bi desktop by going to Analytics icon (next to paintbrush icon) and selecting min, max, avergae or constant lines.

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ankitpatira I know about the tendency lines, but do you know how I can automatically make a data point in a graph each time I hit the update button?

Example:

Lets say I have some sales figures on some different people:

• Day 1 (date 01-xx-xx) = sum of sales is: $2000
  • Day 2 (date 02-xx-xx) = sum of sales is: $2200 (by pressing update)
  • Day 6 (date 06-xx-xx) = sum of sales is: $2700 (by pressing update)

Each time I press the update button I want Power BI to automatically store the historically data including the sum on sales on y-axis and the current date on x-axis like this:

Udklip.JPG

@Anonymous By update you mean refresh right ? If yes then data refresh within power bi is not delta but full. Therefore each time you hit refresh dataset in power bi will be replaced with what is in your data source so if in your data source historcal records are not present they won't appear in power bi. Incremental data loads (so power bi stores history records) is something suggested as an idea for power bi and you need to keep an eye here on when it will be out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ankitpatira Yes, by "update" I mean "refresh" and it is the delta I would like to have view on in a graph each time I refresh the data. It would be a great feature in Power BI.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.