Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoaoMachado
Advocate I
Advocate I

Automatically Unpivoted Columns

Hi,

I've unpivoted some columns that I need to use in such a way. When I add new columns to the original datasource (Excel file) those will automatically get unpivoted as well, resulting in an error (OLE DB #value). Is it expected? Either way, how can I get around it?

Thank you,

João Machado

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@JoaoMachado

This should be as expected. You can go to Query Editor - Advanced Editor to see the detailed power query. By default, if you click 'Unpivot Columns', it will use 'Table.UnpivotOtherColumns'. When new columns are added to the original datasource, this new column will also be unpivoted.

Automatically Unpivoted Columns_1.jpg

To get around it, you can select the column and click 'Unpivot Only Selected Columns'. The generated power query will be Table.Unpivot.

Automatically Unpivoted Columns_2.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@JoaoMachado

This should be as expected. You can go to Query Editor - Advanced Editor to see the detailed power query. By default, if you click 'Unpivot Columns', it will use 'Table.UnpivotOtherColumns'. When new columns are added to the original datasource, this new column will also be unpivoted.

Automatically Unpivoted Columns_1.jpg

To get around it, you can select the column and click 'Unpivot Only Selected Columns'. The generated power query will be Table.Unpivot.

Automatically Unpivoted Columns_2.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hello, Herbert,

Thank you so very much for your help. It worked wonders!

Sincerely,

João Machado

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.