Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatic page refresh in Power BI

Hi guys, 

I read through https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-automatic-page-refresh this document, and could not really find the answer that I'm looking for.

Basically I'm trying to understand what is the mechnism behind this APR. It indicates that it sends an update query to the data source and update accordingly, but what's the difference between this APR and the Refresh command on the ribbon? 

One thing I know is that APR only refreshes on the current page and Refresh command refresh all the visuals on my report. However, I don't understand why the performance wise, APR is much quicker than Refresh command, and I'm only having one page for my report.

Say I have A,B,C three attributes from my data table and I'm only using A and B on my visual. Does APR only refreshes the A and B and it won't capture the change on C? 

Hope my question makes sense. Appreciate all the helps. 

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The fine print of the documentation may have been lost. APR is only available for direct query data sources. All it does is emulate user activity. That should answer all your other questions.

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous 

If you compare automatic refresh with manual click, the difference between them maybe one need you to click refresh button and one is automatic.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your problem.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

For your question: If automatic page refresh succeed, all of them will refresh. (Using which column in visual won't impact.)

In addtion to 's reply,  automatic page refresh will only be available when you are connected to a DirectQuery data source.

Though automatic page refresh don't have restriction in refresh interval (1 second) in Desktop. However it will have some limitions if you publish your report on Service.

If you are not a Premium user( minimun refresh interval = 1 second), your minimun refresh interval = 30 min. Your minimun schedule cache refresh frequency = 15 min.

And there can only be a maximum of 10 models with change detection measure in a Power BI tenant.

For more info you may refer to the Restrictions on refresh intervals and Considerations and limitations part in this blog.

Automatic page refresh in Power BI

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi Rico,

Your post helps me to understand the refresh rate. Also could you tell me whether we need Premium Capacity to have APR interval of 1 second? Or will it be sufficient to have Premium Per User license to have the APR interval of 1 second?

Appreciate your reply,

Raj

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rico,

Thanks for getting back to me. I understand that APR needs to be on a DirectQuery data source. I think the major confusion I have had is if say I'm on a directQuery data source, what will be the difference between the APR and I manually click on the Refresh command from the ribbon? Or there is just no difference besides one is manual click and the other one is automated.

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous 

If you compare automatic refresh with manual click, the difference between them maybe one need you to click refresh button and one is automatic.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The fine print of the documentation may have been lost. APR is only available for direct query data sources. All it does is emulate user activity. That should answer all your other questions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.