Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatic Update of Date table

Hi,

So my issue is I want to automate a business process completely. Let us say that I get data about the items my shop sells everynight, and let us assume that I manage to change the data source to update (append the new file). So I have up-to-date data, however my date table, that I use in most my visualisations is still the same, therefore I have to manually add data to it. 
This issue is my question, is it possible to automatically update my date table aswell?

Note: I tried adding a whole future year to my table (hoping that I would only need to update once a year) however this additional future year still shows in my visualisations (slicer), which is wrong as there is no data for it.
Therefore another possible fix could be to somehow make the visualisations (date slicer) shows only the dates that my fact table data has. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I’ve created a sample as the fact table as below.

2.png

But we won’t manually add the date table generally. You can try to use the calendar table:

Table = CALENDAR(MIN(SalesSheet[Salestime]),MAX(SalesSheet[Salestime]))

3.png

Best regards,

Dina Ye

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I’ve created a sample as the fact table as below.

2.png

But we won’t manually add the date table generally. You can try to use the calendar table:

Table = CALENDAR(MIN(SalesSheet[Salestime]),MAX(SalesSheet[Salestime]))

3.png

Best regards,

Dina Ye

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-diye-msft 
Thanks for your reply this method works just as you have mention, but it makes an ugly sclicer and since I have a much larger date range it looks too messy. My aim was to make it a hierarchy drop down menu for my date so it looks simpler and easier to navigate. 

Hi @Anonymous 

You could probably just change the slicer displaying by between, and select the day when needed.

11.png

quickly.

Hi @Anonymous 

If my above post helps, could you please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. thanks!

Best regards,

Dina Ye

quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.