Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MartinGeschke
Regular Visitor

Automatic Page refresh with dataset

Hi All,

I notice that power bi introduced new feature automatic page refresh with direct query sources, I think in oct.

My constallation is that I run a dataset (incl. direct query) and linked to this dataset a report.

I can setup the autorefresh options on pages embedded inside the dataset but not in the linked report. 

Is there anything I miss? Or any workaround to fix this?

thanks & best regards 

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MartinGeschke ,

According to your description, you may connect to the data source by DQ in the desktop(You do not need to go through the gateway to connect to the data source locally) and publish it to the power bi service. Then you connect to the power bi dataset again.

When you connect to the power bi dataset in the desktop. It is live connection model and you cannot set page refresh for it.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MartinGeschke ,

As you said, automatic page refresh lets your active report page query for new data, at a pre-defined cadence, for DQ source.

But what did you mean for the linked report. Are you talking about the live pages in dashboard? Would you please descript it in more details, so that we can answer you well.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi Sorry if this wasn't clear enough.

1 One Report is direct connected to data source via gateway. This works perfect. Options for auto refresh are working.

2 Secound Report use the 1st report as "Power BI Dataset"

In the 2nd report auto refresh can't be enabled. 

Hi @MartinGeschke ,

According to your description, you may connect to the data source by DQ in the desktop(You do not need to go through the gateway to connect to the data source locally) and publish it to the power bi service. Then you connect to the power bi dataset again.

When you connect to the power bi dataset in the desktop. It is live connection model and you cannot set page refresh for it.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

is this in the desktop or in the service?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

In the desktop application the options for auto refresh are not avalible in the linked report.

In the Dataset they are avalible. For both reports the preview feature is enabled.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.