Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsbin
Super User
Super User

Automatic Page Refresh - Capture Date and Time in Tile

Good Morning,

I currently use a Web API to capture the date and time of the Last Refresh.  In Power BI Service, I have been updating a few times per day.

rsbin_0-1621003828353.png

We are now upgrading just a few pages of this multi-page Report to Direct Query to take advantage of the Automatic Page Refresh option so we can refresh just these few pages every five minutes.  Does anyone know how I would create a tile to capture and update this tile with the latest Refresh Time?

Thanks and Kind Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @rsbin ,

when you use DirectQuery the values are updated whenever you interact with the report or when you trigger a refresh.

This means you can just use a Measure to show NOW or UTCNOW as last refresh date:

Last Refresh = NOW()

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @rsbin ,

when you use DirectQuery the values are updated whenever you interact with the report or when you trigger a refresh.

This means you can just use a Measure to show NOW or UTCNOW as last refresh date:

Last Refresh = NOW()

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Hi @selimovd,

Thank you for the quick response.  Just need a clarification though.  When i use Now() on my desktop, it gives me Eastern Time.  Once I publish on the Service will the result of this Measure be in UTC time?

Thanks again! 

Hey @rsbin ,

NOW is always using the local time, so on your PBI Desktop your computer time. As far as I remember Power BI Service changed once to always use UTC time, but you should verify that.

The best way is either to use UTCNOW() and say it's UTC time or if you want a specific local time, then add or subtract the hours. For example:

Last Refresh = UTCNOW() + TIME ( 1, 00, 00 )

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.