Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bryanrendra
Helper II
Helper II

Automated refresh Sharepoint Folder Data Source

Hi all,

I have a power bi dashboard which the data source come from local desktop computer. The data source contains multiple folders in which the folder contains multiple version excel file. I would love to move this data to the share point, so people can edit or add the data anywhere and anytime. I am using folder data source and would like to change it to sharepoint folder. does anyone has a solution for this??

Best,

Bryan

3 REPLIES 3
jairoaol
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

if possible.

if your report already has visualizations and data customizations that you don't want to lose. I recommend the following:

1. Connect to the folder in SharePoint Online and perform the tranbsforming steps to unify the files into a single table.

2. Enter the advanced SharePoint connection editor and copy from the second line to the penultimate line.

3. Duplicate the original table (test backup only). it's all over it.

4. In the original table (Local Folder) enter the advanced editor and change the connection steps to the data sources by the steps you copied from the connection to the SharePoint folder. the other transformation steps you have you should leave them. make sure to validate steps, commas, separators and so on.

5. Apply changes and test.

That is really good approach. However I am facing problems where there will be lets say 10 data input (10 folders) and each folders has multiple versions. This version will be changed over time depending on the scenario that we want to run in the dashboard. the reason I can not combine the file because each folder have different confidentialities. there will be multiple person with different authorization to update or change each folder. do you have different approach? thank you very much

if the idea is to upload files from different folders, but let each one be independent.

the focus is the same, only repeated 10 times.

The fact that different users upload information to folders according to their security levels, is indifferent to Power BI. Power BI must have access to all 10 SharePoint folders and be able to map the data separately or together.

at the report's visuaization level, you can use role-by-role security so that each user only has access to the corresponding data (requires PRO license)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.