Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NovaBI
Helper V
Helper V

Automated SIgma/Summarization

Hey peeps,

i already tried to find a solution by searching around in BI itself, but no success.

Lets assume we are importing an Excel sheet that is provided by another user. Now we want to use this form as a mapping table for our project. It contains a huge amount of columns with numeric values in it. 

PowerBi now sets every column with the logic "Summarization: Sum". I did not find any way to select all columns and set them all to "Don't summarize". By today, i do not understand the advantage of this automated recognition...neither the useage of this summarization. Perhaps someone can explain it to me.

I could bypass that legwork by unpivoting the columns, but this should not be the usual way, or?

Is there an option to turn this issue off?

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@NovaBI 

Yes, you may take a look at Setting common properties.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@NovaBI , By default all number data type will get default summarization as sum. If you do not want them to summarize change data type to texr

@amitchandak thanks for your answer.

So there is no way to do a multiple select of columns and change them in one step? I do need to change the sum yes/no column by column?

Appreciated and regards

@NovaBI 

Yes, you may take a look at Setting common properties.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.