Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automated Refresh in PowerBI Desktop

Hi,

There's plenty of posts around automated refresh in PowerBI desktop post 1 post 2  post 3 . But the answer to all of these posts is that PowerBI doesn't currently offer a solution to this. 

There has to be some kind of workaround. I can imagine that if you put your file on a server and have some kind of tool automatically refreshing that file every day at midnight, and publishing it in the morning, you'd have your automated refresh. I've tried loads of Google searches, but I simply cannot find any documentation anywhere on how to get started with this. What would be the steps you'd have to take to get there?

Regards

Bas

1 REPLY 1
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous

To my knowledge, It couldn't auto refresh data in Power BI desktop, and here is the idea, you could vote for it.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15507999-auto-refresh-data-in-power-bi-desktop

If you want to refresh data for report in power bi service, you could just configure scheduled refresh in power bi service, see Configure scheduled refresh.

And as a workaround, you could refer the solution as below:

there a one approach doing the refresh with window capturing

https://github.com/dubravcik/pbixrefresher-python

But you should know that this isnt a solution for an enterprise environment!

As far as I know there is no buit in Solution for refreshing datasets in PBID.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.