Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automated Generation of PowerBI Reports

Hi, I'm fairly new to PowerBI and its various features. and I'm looking for help in automating the generation of reports and would appreciate any suggestions or resources.

What I'm trying to achieve is a little complicated and I'm not even sure supported.

I would like to use a list (retrieved from a DB) to automatically generate seperate reports for each of the entries in that list. To use an example, the list could be Employees and an identical report would be generated and catered to each Employee. Each of the reports will have same format, and the Employees' name/id will be used as a parameter when quering the data source (probably a DB).

To really dumb down the example:

1. Run query to get list of Employees

2. Use each Employees' name/id as a parameter to generate identical reports for all Employees

These identical reports could be seperate PowerBI Reports or individual pages on one report.

I've seen mentions of automating data refreshes but nothing about the generation of PowerBI Reports. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Assuming that you want this so that each employee have access to his own report, or a user can check specific persons.

First of all Power BI doesn't automate the creation of reportings, be aware that this is a Bussiness inteligence tool and not a reporting tool, so the concept is different.

What you can do is create a single report and depending on the use you want (one per each person or a selection of users) you can add row level security so based on the user that access the information the information on the report would be different (check this link) or add a slicer to your report and people can select the employee that they want to see the details.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is anyone aware of a similar solution or process to what DevScope is offering which can be done or programmed on our own for free?

harshkkumar
Frequent Visitor

We have a similar problem where we need to send out PDFs to clients (160 of them) and we cannot be sharing the original Power BI Report itself with row level security.

Is there another way to do this?

Thanks,

Har**bleep**

Hi, harshkkumar,

We just stumbled upon your question, and are glad to tell you that we have a product called PowerBI Robots that does just that. You can schedule and automatically send any reports as PDFs or images via email to any email address, even if outside your organization. One of our clients had the same need, you can read about it in this case study.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

The DevScope team

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Assuming that you want this so that each employee have access to his own report, or a user can check specific persons.

First of all Power BI doesn't automate the creation of reportings, be aware that this is a Bussiness inteligence tool and not a reporting tool, so the concept is different.

What you can do is create a single report and depending on the use you want (one per each person or a selection of users) you can add row level security so based on the user that access the information the information on the report would be different (check this link) or add a slicer to your report and people can select the employee that they want to see the details.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info @MFelix that helped clear some things up.

I'll look into the use of slicers and role management for reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.