Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Automate table to add months

Good morning everyone - 

I am having the damndest time trying to automate a data set to automatically add a new month. I'm not even sure if this is possible.  Below is a screenshot of a data table I will be entering into PowerBI.  We have several locations in my business which have different rates that can change in any given month.  What I am looking for is a measure which will automatically add a new month, with the previous month's rates. 

So for example, when we get to October 1st, 2021, the measure would automatically add "Oct-21" in cell A11,, as well as the September values for the 3 locations (70, 90, 100).  If there is a rate change, I can go in and manually adjust, but if there is not a rate change, I'd like for the NEW month to just use the previous month's values.

Thank you so much for your help! 

Automate Data.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Suppose your data is till August,such as below:

vkellymsft_0-1631782568155.png

First create a calendar table to the end of the year,then create a relationship between the 2 tables;

Finally create a measure as below:

Measure =
IF ( MONTH ( MAX ( 'Table 2'[Date] ) ) <= MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1, BLANK () )

Put the measure in the filter pane and select measure is 1:

vkellymsft_1-1631782684044.png

And you will see:

vkellymsft_2-1631782706845.png

For each new adding month,you could use another measure to fill  in the data.

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my raeply as a solution!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rammishra
Helper II
Helper II

Interesting question. I am afraid, it is not possible in Power BI- if the intention is to insert rows in the database. We can create a Measure that probably can do what you want in a matrix (a visual). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rammishra - 

My other thought is that I could add months in my table out for a couple years with the current values (70, 90, 100), and I would manually edit the rates if we have a rate change.  But I'm not sure in the visual, how I would be able to show through the current month? So for example, when October 1st, 2021 rolls around, I would want my visual to show all the rates for the previous months THROUGH October (but nothing beyond).  I know I can manually add October in the filters, but how would I automate it so that PowerBI knows to only show the rates through the current month?

Thank you! 

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Suppose your data is till August,such as below:

vkellymsft_0-1631782568155.png

First create a calendar table to the end of the year,then create a relationship between the 2 tables;

Finally create a measure as below:

Measure =
IF ( MONTH ( MAX ( 'Table 2'[Date] ) ) <= MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1, BLANK () )

Put the measure in the filter pane and select measure is 1:

vkellymsft_1-1631782684044.png

And you will see:

vkellymsft_2-1631782706845.png

For each new adding month,you could use another measure to fill  in the data.

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my raeply as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Kelly!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.