Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto select values in slicer based on user selection

Hi,

I am trying to use Text Filter custom visual in my report. It works very well. However, it only selects values on one page. I need that selection to apply to all the pages in the report. I was wondering if there is a way to auto select values in slicer based on user input. For instance, if I have a column "Account Name" and a text filter for "Account Name" in my report. If I type "xyz" in the text filter, it returns all Accounts with keyword "xyz" in them. Is it possible to dynamically take all the results (Account Names with "xyz") and select those in the slicer (Account Name)? That would ensure this selection applies throughout the report.

Does anybody have a better idea? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
BlakeGittings
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

You can submit an idea that use Text filter to filter all visuals in different report pages in Power BI ideas forum.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

I am afraid that it is not possible to use Text filter to filter all visuals in different report page.

I would recommend you use Power BI built-in slicer, then use the new sync slicer feature. With this feature, you are able to filter visuals in all  the pages based on the selection in the slicer.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-2018-feature-summary/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your response.

I am not using the in built slicer search as it does not automatically select all values with the keyword I am looking for. For instance, in excel when I search for keyword "xyz", it would auto select all values with "xyz". Power BI strangely does not do that. So user has to browse through several records before they find the one they are looking for. Also, since the slicer says "Select ALL", they often assume everything with keyword "xyz" is auto selected. I guess all Excel users would expect it to work that way. This is why I am trying to use something like text filter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.