Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Auto-rename all Query columns e.g. to remove underscore

Hi @arify,

How would I accomplish this:

I'd like to rename my columns either on import or immediately following.

Example name that comes in: [DIM A].[YEAR].[YEAR].[MEMBER_CAPTION]

Name I want to display: Year

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@mike_honey - would love to see this demo file.  I checked, but perhaps it's no longer in the OneDrive location?  Any way for me to access it?

Thanks,

Ryan

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

@thephotobus  - its still there.  Try the button at top-right to change to list view.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

hi - completely new to M so please bear with me

If I enter the below as a column I =in the PBI Query editor, I get "Expression.Error: The name 'table' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly."

= Table.TransformColumnNames(table, (columnName as text) as text => Text.Replace(columnName, "_", ""))

So I presumbed that I was to replace table with my table name and entered the below and I get "Expression.Error: A cyclic reference was encountered during evaluation."

= Table.TransformColumnNames(#"Project Cache", (columnName as text) as text => Text.Replace(columnName, "_", ""))

I just need to get past the first hurdle!

Also can Table.TransformColumnNames add spaces before capitals?, e.g. transform "EstDurationAtCompletion" into "Est Duration At Completion"

Thanks!

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

You are so close - you just need to replace "table" with the previous STEP name (not table/query name). If that step name has spaces or special characters it will need to be enclosed e.g. #"My Previous Step Name".

It's a weird feature of the M language. It's not what I'd call a "script" language where the sequence of the lines of code controls the flow. In the code generated by the Power Query UI, there's actually a reference to the prior line of code, on every line.  Technically that returns a table with all the data "as at" that prior step.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

mike - thanks a bunch - I should have seen that. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Community Summit Australia – Join Online!

Community Summit Australia – Join Online!

Be a part of the leading Microsoft Business Applications digital event, curated for the APAC community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors