Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jeongs1
Regular Visitor

Auto refresh in Power BI Desktop

I have a folder with multiple excel files and created reports in Power BI Desktop using those files. 

Everyday, I would add a new excel file inside that folder with current day's data.

And yes, unfortunately, the data have to in its separate excel file. They cannot be combined into a one huge file 😞

Once I've added the excel file in the folder, how can I have the data in Power BI automatically refresh?

I know I have to set up the query/program it the first time, but I don't want to do that everytime new set of data/excel file is added inside the folder. 

I've played around with the query and the result would appear as the below screenshot. 

I've done some research and it seems like Power BI Gateway is the way to do it...? But I wasn' sure, so asking a question here. I hope there is a way to do so since I don't want to download another program to burn my computer out.

Thanks for the help in advance!

power bi.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jeongs1,

1. For your scenario, we are unable to automatically refresh it, because PowerBI get the data offline.

2. >>I know I have to set up the query/program it the first time, but I don't want to do that everytime new set of data/excel file is added inside the folder.

In Query Edit Navigator, you try to comebine all mutiple files to one file? For the error message, please click refresh in Query Edit and check if it works fine.

3. Power BI Gateway is used to connect and refresh data in Power BI service. It acts as a bridge, providing quick and secure data transfer between the Power BI service and on-premises data sources that support refresh. Please review the articles below.

Getting started with Power BI Gateways
On-premises data gateway in-depth

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jeongs1,

1. For your scenario, we are unable to automatically refresh it, because PowerBI get the data offline.

2. >>I know I have to set up the query/program it the first time, but I don't want to do that everytime new set of data/excel file is added inside the folder.

In Query Edit Navigator, you try to comebine all mutiple files to one file? For the error message, please click refresh in Query Edit and check if it works fine.

3. Power BI Gateway is used to connect and refresh data in Power BI service. It acts as a bridge, providing quick and secure data transfer between the Power BI service and on-premises data sources that support refresh. Please review the articles below.

Getting started with Power BI Gateways
On-premises data gateway in-depth

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hello @v-huizhn-msft!

Thank you for your comment. Just one more question/comment.

Let's say I extract yesterday's data the following day and name it according to the date. 

For instance, today, I'd export yesterday's data and name it "06-14-17 Report". 

That report is then saved inside a folder called "Reports" which I'd use to get data from.

So for today, in my Power BI, I would have all the data up until two days ago becuase I wouldn't pull yesterday's data.

Now once I pull yesterday's data, place it inside the folder, how would I have power BI to include that excel file?

If there a way to do so? If not, is having a one huge excel file the only way to do so?

Much appreciate it.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.