Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JPerdigao

Auto refresh desktop dataset

Hello,

I'm using PowerBI desktop Pro, and I'm using a flow to extract two CSV files I receive on my email, to my OneDrive for Business drive.

I have a PowerBI that works data on both files, and gives me the insights I need. The PowerBI destop file is also on my OneDrive for Busniess drive.

I created my PowerBI desktop dataset sources through links (GetData -> Web -> (link from the CSV files on my OneDrive4B).

I want to make hourly automatic updates to my PowerBI dataset, and present it in a videowall.

I tryed lots of solutions that I read here, all without success. 

I've tryed:

1. create a workspace, connect CSV files to it. In this solution I can have insights on each of the CSV data, but not the data I need, as those files are related with each other, and only working on those files results in the information I need;

2. simply publish the PowerBI to PowerBI Online - I could program a refresh schedule of the PowerBI desktop file, but it would not refresh with new information from CSV files;

3. make GetData from PowerBI online with the PowerBI file on OneDrive - with the same result as above

So I'm kind'a lost here.

Can you please shed a light on how can I publish my PowerBI with fresh information?

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@JPerdigao,

If you want to make OneDrive hourly refresh work after making changes to the CSV file, you would need to directly connect to the CSV file stored in OneDrive for business from Power BI Service rather from Power BI Desktop.

Moreover, when you connect to the CSV file via Get Data -> Web entry in Power BI Desktop,  store the PBIX file on OneDrive for business, then connect to the PBIX file via Get Data entry in Power BI Service, automatic refresh works. But in this case, only those changes( add new measures, change column names, edit visualizations in Power BI Desktop file) can be updated in Power BI Service, usually within about an hour. When you make changes in the CSV file, you can only manually refresh the dataset by using Refresh now or set up a refresh schedule by using Schedule Refresh. For more details, please review this article.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If I connect the CSV files via Get Data -> Files on Power Bi Web, the dataset is updated with new entries on CSV files.

But when I do Get Data - > Files to the PBIX file on OneDrive, and do a manual refresh, I get the following error:

Scheduled refresh has been disabled due to at least one data source not having credentials provided. Please provide credentials for all data sources, and then turn scheduled refresh back on.

I don't understand why, because CSV files are on the same OneDrive, and are refreshed with success, and are the only sources of the dataset.

Best regards

JP

@JPerdigao

As mentioned by the above error message, you would need to enter credentials for all the data sources, go  to Settings->Datasets, then find your dataset, enter credentials for  your data sources, and then check if you can do a manual refresh.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors