Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vmakhija
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Auto "Clear Selections" for the second slicer

Hello

I have a report where I have slicers for "Category" and "SubCategory".

So, if I select a category in 1st slicer and then subcategory in 2nd slicer, I see the data.

Now when I select a different category in 1st slicer, my 2nd slicer still have the Subcategory from old category. How do I make my 2nd slicer to "clear all" itself if I change the Category.

Screenshots below -

Image1.PNG

Image2.PNG

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi vmakhija,

I have attached PBIX file here, please check if it can be downloaded in your work place.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
iwasti1975

Hi,

The only solution is to use chicklet slicer or attribute slicer you can download them. set the force selection on.

Thanks

Irfan

Is there an enhancement thread related to having this functionality added to regular slicer? shocking that there is no ability to handle this.

alexddc24
Advocate II
Advocate II

There are other slicers available in the marketplace but unfortunately none work as I'd ideally like. In saying that, none of the others retain the previous selection when the parent slicer no longer has the previously selected value in the child slicer. For this to be the default behaviour is pretty ridiculous. 

For my needs, I'm after a dropdown slicer that 'resets' and 'defaults' like any reasonable person would expect.

SVD85
Regular Visitor

What worked for me was to create a hidden slicer for the top level and create bookmarks for every option, with the other slicers without sellection.

Then I created shapes with an action to open the bookmark as selection buttons. This resets the other slicers.

hi @SVD85  can you tell more about what you did and show some snapshots here ?

I am facing the same issue actually but dont know what to do

thank you very much

santiagomur
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi 

I have the same problem, there is any solution ? 

i`am using roles but is happens the same, if i select something and then change of role the second person can see this selection, and when i change the selection the first selection disappear

example 

1. role 1 only can see customer group "X".

2. role 2 only can see customer group "Y".

3. select on the slicer the group "X".

4. with the "X" selected change the role to role 2.

5. The "X" doesn´t disappear 

so in my case the provider 2 can see one of the names of a customer of the provider 1, i can share the report with this...

i stuck. 

Anotación 2019-10-01 092224.png

@v-yuta-msft 

@v-qiuyu-msft 

regards

preethama
Frequent Visitor

@vmakhija I am stuck with the same problem. When I change the selection in the first slicer it does not automatically clear the selections from the second slicer. Were you able to find a solutin for this?

@preethama 

Yeah I think it was to do with having a relatioship between 2 if they are in different tables

Or they both should be in same table.

@vmakhija  The columns that I am using are in the same table.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi vmakhija,

Based on your description, are [Category] and [SubCategory] in different table? You can create a relationship between the two tables so that slicer2 will also be filtered by selecting values in slicer1 just like the table chart, then you can cancel some selections in slicer2 to achieve the chart you want. In addtion, you can also create a new table which contains [Category] and [SubCategory] and make a hierarchy between [Category] and [SubCategory], then you can use a Hierarchy Slicer to achieve your goal, see this: https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380820?tab=Overview.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

@v-yuta-msft

yes, category and subcategory are in different tables.

Here is a scenario which explains my problem -

1. I select a category and then I select a subcategory which is within that category

2. I select a different category now, however, subcategory is still selected from the old category.

Hence all data is blank.

Regards

Hi vmakhija,

Have you built a relationship between your 'Category' table and 'Subcategory' table? I have made two sample tables 'table1' and 'table2' like below, there's a relationship based on index column:

'Category'

1.PNG 

'Subcategory'

2.PNG  

PBIX for your reference: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5jrefudq7gyrii/Auto%20second%20slicer.pbix?dl=0.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

the link is blocked at my work place. Is there any other way you can share the PBIX file with me? Regards

Hi vmakhija,

I have attached PBIX file here, please check if it can be downloaded in your work place.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Why is this marked as a solution?  This isn't a solution or a workaround and is totally misleading.

This does not work. 

Please do not flag is as having a solution.  It is misleading and wastes people's time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn;t work becuase as soon as make a selection in table b you cannot change the selection in a becuase the relationship is bi-directional.  

The requirement is the Selection in A changes B and then Changing A changes B without having to un-select B

Hi,

I'm also having the same problem.

I have 3 slicers like Category, SubCategory and Products.

1. I selected a value(eg: Value1) from Category.

2. I got filtered values for "Value 1" in SubCategory slicer. So I picked a value(eg: SubValue 1) from slicer SubCategory.

3. I selected another value(eg: Value 2) from slicer Category. (Multiselection enabled for all 3 slicers).

4. Then I deselect "Value 1" from Category.

- so the expected behaviour in the slicer SubCategory is that it should deselect the SubValue 1, which belongs to "Value 1" and show the filtered values for "Value 2", right?

But I can see the SubValue 1 as selected with other filtered values of "Value 2".

I have tried your pbix file but it's not working for this scenario.
I dont want to user hierarchical slicer.. becuase I have so much data and it will be easy for me if i have individual slicers with interactions.

Please help!!

Regards,

Does anyone have a solution to this issue? I'm also hitting this annoyance. When the selection of my parent (Period) dropdown slicer changes, the previously selected item inside the child dropdown (Timestamp) slicer remains displayed and selected although it's not a valid value/item anymore. This causes all dependent visualizations that filter on the dropdown slicer to show "(Blank)".

See the red arrows below: When changing the Period from Weekly to Monthly, the Timestamp dropdown slicer changes its items but also includes an invalid selected item from the Weekly Timestamp items list. 

MTv_0-1646860982914.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just came across the same issue.  The only thing I found was to download one of the slicer visuals.  The attribute slicer by microsoft seems to work.  I dont know why they dont fix the standard slicer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.