Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DirectQuery
Helper I
Helper I

Auto-detect cardinality one to one relationships from SQL Server DirectQuery tables?

How can we set up tables in a SQL Server database so Power BI auto-detects cardinality one to one relationships with or without cross filter direction both?

We can get one to many or many to one by adding Primary Keys and Foreign Keys, but cannot get one to one relationships.

We need one to one relationships so we can display columns from all three of the following tables.

- Table Customers has CustomerId as Primary Key
- Table FoodOrders has CustomerId as Foreign Key
- Table DrinkOrders has CustomerId as Foreign Key

We can only display columns from Customers and either FoodOrders or DrinkOrders.

20 REPLIES 20
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DirectQuery   ,

Do the suggestions from engineers make sense? If so, kindly mark the proper reply as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

The suggestions from engineers does not solve the problem.

@DirectQuery 

Ok, fine.

Can you please expand on exactly what you are hoping to achieve (given the structure of your model and data)?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Take these three tables from SQL Server DirectQuery loaded with relationships detected as one-to-one.

CustomerIdName
1John
2Joe
3Mary

CustomerIdFoodOrderIdFood
111Food11
222Food22
333Food33

CustomerIdDrinkOrderIdDrink
144Drink44
255Drink55
366Drink66

Display this in a report.

CustomerIdNameFoodOrderIdDrinkOrderIdFoodDrink
1John1144Food11Drink44
2Joe2255Food22Drink55
3Mary3366Food33Drink66

@DirectQuery 

See if this works:

Crossjoin.JPG

Paul on Linkedin.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DirectQuery , You can join Customer with food orders and drink order and analyze data together.

Also, assume you take a not summarized column food orders and customer Id from the customer, You can take any aggregated from drink orders

@amitchandak, When I have a table with fields from Customers and FoodOrders, Power BI gives me this error if I add fields from DrinkOrders.

Can't determine relationships between the fields

Can't display the data because Power BI can't determine relationship between two or more fields.

@amitchandak wrote:

@DirectQuery, You can join Customer with food orders and drink order and analyze data together.

Also, assume you take a not summarized column food orders and customer Id from the customer, You can take any aggregated from drink orders

@DirectQuery 

In your visuals, you should be using the fields from the Customer table, and then add whatever fields/measures from the other tables. 
If you do not use the field from the Customer Table to "bridge" the other 2, you will get the error. 
If you have any other fields common to both FoodOrders and DrinkOrders (for example a date field, postal code etc... you should create dimension tables for these too, and link them in a one-to-many relationship with both fact tables using the common fields.

Paul on Linkedin.

@PaulDBrown

I get the error if Customers are one-to-many with FoodOrders and DrinkOrders.

I do not get the error if Customers are one-to-one with FoodOrders and DrinkOrders.

If I have a 100 Order tables, I do not want to manually switch relationships from one-to-many to one-to-one.

Power BI auto-detects one-to-many, but I cannot get it to auto-detect one-to-one relationships from SQL Server databases.

What are a dimension tables?

@PaulDBrown wrote:

@DirectQuery 

In your visuals, you should be using the fields from the Customer table, and then add whatever fields/measures from the other tables. 
If you do not use the field from the Customer Table to "bridge" the other 2, you will get the error. 
If you have any other fields common to both FoodOrders and DrinkOrders (for example a date field, postal code etc... you should create dimension tables for these too, and link them in a one-to-many relationship with both fact tables using the common fields.

@DirectQuery 

One-to-one is fine: it just means that both tables have unique values. So you can have relationships which are one-to-one or one-to-many.

What you need to avoid at all costs are Many-to-Many relationships, since these can cause havoc in calculations.

Dimension tables have unique values of a particular field (and can have more than one field) which is then used to create a relationship with other table(s). These dimension tables make the model efficient, and are used for slicers. filters, filter expressions in measures....

Paul on Linkedin.

We want to display fields from the Customers table and multiple Order tables without manually changing relationships to one-to-one.

Power BI only auto-detects one-to-many and one-to-many gives us errors.

Is there a way to auto-detect one-to-one?

Is there a way use one-to-many relationships to display fields from the Customers table and multiple Order tables?

@PaulDBrown wrote:

@DirectQuery 

One-to-one is fine: it just means that both tables have unique values. So you can have relationships which are one-to-one or one-to-many.

What you need to avoid at all costs are Many-to-Many relationships, since these can cause havoc in calculations.

Dimension tables have unique values of a particular field (and can have more than one field) which is then used to create a relationship with other table(s). These dimension tables make the model efficient, and are used for slicers. filters, filter expressions in measures....

@DirectQuery 

Firstly, you should beware of relying on auto-detect table relationships: you might find there are some surprises or relationships created beween fields which aren't "correct" or the desirable relationship.

"Power BI only auto-detects one-to-many and one-to-many gives us errors."

In what sense does a one-to-many relationship give you errors?

Paul on Linkedin.

- Customers is one-to-many to FoodOrders

- Customers is one-to-many to DrinkOrders

- Report Visual Table contains fields from Customers and FoodOrders

Given above, Power BI gives below error when I add fields from DrinkOrders to the Report Visual Table.

Can't determine relationships between the fields

Can't display the data because Power BI can't determine relationship between two or more fields.

@DirectQuery 

Can you please show the model view for the affected tables + an example of the visual and specify which fields you are using and  from which tables?

If the model is set up correctly you will not get this message. It depends on the bridge tables (dimension tables) you have to relate the fields, 

If you try to create a visual which does not include fields from bridge/dimension tables, you get this error.

Paul on Linkedin.

I don't have a dimension table. I only have three tables.

What should the dimension table have for connecting Customers one-to-many with FoodOrders and DrinkOrders?

@DirectQuery 

We may be having a problem with terminology. 
A dimension table, or lookup table, is a table containing at least one field with unique values which is linked to fact tables (where the same field has multiple instances of the same values) by means of a one-to-many (or one-to-one) relationship. Sometimes these dimension tables are called "bridge tables" because they are used to create a "bridge" between two tables containing a common field. 
These bridge/dimensiotables are then used in slicers, filters, measures etc to enable the filter conext necessary to allow for measures comparing values from different tables (for example sales from one table vs target from another table by using the "bridge table"/dimension table of "customer".

The fields from these Bridge/Dimension tables are the "link" between your fact tables. Without them, your visuals will render the error message you are seeing (unless your measures include an expression such as TREATAS in the filter expression, but that should be a plan "b" or used if a relationship cannot be established using a "bridge table" - but ignore this comment in brackets since we are looking for a solution to the model itself)

As I mentioned in my previous post, can you please post an image of your model (relevant tables), and what fields you are using to create your visual?

Paul on Linkedin.

I only have three tables from the SQL Server database.

- Customers

- FoodOrders

- DrinkOrders

DirectQuery_0-1601984845906.png

No error when I click fields on second table.

DirectQuery_1-1601984899967.png

I get an error when I click a field on the third table.

DirectQuery_2-1601984926338.png

@DirectQuery 

The question is why do you need to add the CustomerID fields from your "Fact tables" (ie FoodOrder and DrinkOrder tables)?

Once you have the Dimension Table (your "Customers" table), you only use the field (Customers[CustomerID]) from this table in your visual (you don't need the customerID fields from other tables).

The Customers[CustomerID] field in the visual will filter the rows in each fact table to return the corresponding values for other columns you include in the visual. No need to add the CustomerID columns from your fact tables)

Paul on Linkedin.

I get the error when I add any column. It doesn't matter which column I add.

I'm adding CustomerID fields as a test to see if I get the error.

@DirectQuery 

Ok, I see what you are getting at (I've created a sample PBIX). Sorry about the my confusion.

You are getting the error when you add columns from the tables without an aggregation. This is becasue the structure of the data does not establish a relationhip between each column (food and drink) for the fact tables (they are independent occurrences) . Unless you have a field which establishes "which drink was ordered with each food" (an order ID for example) the visual cannot establish the relationship between the two columns, hence you get the error.

1) You can force an "Artificial"  Combination (ie. depict the possible combinations of food and drink for each customer) either by merging the tables in Power Query or creating a measure using the CROSSJOIN function (you can apply this measure in the visual' filter pane).

Crossjoin = CALCULATE(
                DISTINCTCOUNT(Customers[CustomerID]), 
                        CROSSJOIN(FoodOrders, DrinkOrders))

Result.JPG

But as I say, this is simply a depiction of the possible combinations

2) If you want to see the exact list for each customer, create a new dimension table (I've called it 'Type') by joining both food and drink fields:

Type = UNION(VALUES(FoodOrders[Food]), VALUES(DrinkOrders[Drink]))

Now create a relationship between this new table and both your fact tables linking Type with the FoodOrder[Food] and DrinkOrder[Drink]

Type.JPG

and use the Customers[CustomerID] and Type[Type] fields to build your visuals:

Type Result.JPG

Apologies again for my initial confusion!

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.