Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hkillen
Helper I
Helper I

Auto-Refresh select data tables / sources

Is it possible to program PowerBI to only AutoRefresh select data tables?  For example, if I have 10 data tables and I have PowerBI scheduled to auto-refresh at 0800.  At the time Power BI Auto-Refreshes, I only want PowerBI to refresh 4 select tables.  The other 6 tables, I will manually refresh when necessary.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@hkillen haha I'm right don't worry 🙂
Will apprecite your kudos on my messages for start 😀.
Please don't forget to accept the previous message as a solution for community visibility.
P.S. Check out my showcase report - got some high level stuff there. Sure you will find there a lot of cool ideas. 
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/SpartaBI-Feat-Contoso-100K/td-p/2449543
Give it a thumbs up over there if you liked it 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@hkillen you can disable the refresh of the 6 tables in Power Query (right click on the relevant tables and you will see that toggle).
The scheduled refresh will only refresh the 4 you want.
For the other 6 you can do it manually through tools like Tabular Editor or SSMS but you need that dataset to resides in a Premium or PPU workspace as the xmla connection that is used for this mechanisem is a premium only feature

2022-05-19 17_30_22-Re_ Need help on DAX function with measure vs colu... - Microsoft Power BI Commu.png

Full-Logo11.png

SpartaBI_3-1652115470761.png   SpartaBI_1-1652115142093.png   SpartaBI_2-1652115154505.png

Showcase Report – Contoso By SpartaBI

OMG.  I think you're right.  Let me test it.  If you are right, I will bear you your children.  Will tell you how it works out.  THANK YOU!

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@hkillen haha I'm right don't worry 🙂
Will apprecite your kudos on my messages for start 😀.
Please don't forget to accept the previous message as a solution for community visibility.
P.S. Check out my showcase report - got some high level stuff there. Sure you will find there a lot of cool ideas. 
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/SpartaBI-Feat-Contoso-100K/td-p/2449543
Give it a thumbs up over there if you liked it 🙂

IT WORKED!!!! THANK YOU.

Quick question, may be hard to clearly ask.  Basically, I am auto refreshing all Sql Server data sources and manually refreshing all Access Database data sources.  The Access Database data sources have been causing Gateway / Credentials issues that have been causing the Auto-Refresh to crash.  Given that I am no longer AutoRefreshing the Access Database data sources, this should avoid any of the Access Database-driven Gateway/Credential issues, correct?

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@hkillen well, if the Acess data sources caused the failures, then yes, now the scheduled won't have that reason. The manual refresh of access can still fail (there is no difference) but now you do it less, so it will happen less.

BTW, won't take you on your word for the kids 😆 but please be kind and give a Kudos to my report :))

I believe there is a difference.  When I refresh the Access Databases from the PowerBI Desktop (i.e., I click the refresh button)...I never have had a failure driven by the Access Databases.  When I publish the pbi file on my companies 'Workspace', and the my company's BI sets up the AutoRefreshes, the AutoRefresh routinely fails because of a 'Credentials/Gateway' issue driven by the Access Databases...stuff way above my head.   I want to skip the Access Databases in the Auto-Refreshes to avoid the 'Gateway' issues.  

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

But the credentials still apply on the manual refresh, unless you mean you refresh in the desktop and upload a new file every time you do that

I'm not an expert on this matter and my company's BI team cannot identify a solution.  I can only report what I am experiencing.  Just wanted validation when the AutoRefresh is conducted, the Access Database has zero impact.  I will test it and get back to you.

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

Roger that

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.