Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Hasgard

Auto Refresh in Dataset

Good afternoon.

I created a report that the database is a list in sharepoint. The minimum scheduled refresh is 30min. I need the report to be updated (refresh rate) every 5 minutes. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
I found an addon in Chrome that refreshes the page automatically but does not update the dataset data on demand.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I understand your explanation, but the point is, if there is an option that allows you to update on demand, why not allow it to be scheduled? That is the question. I can update on demand from minute to minute.

Because every refresh requires Microsoft servers to work. Direct Query does not. So MS limits it to 30 minute intervals to prevent their servers from being overloaded by the millions of users that use Power BI. To get below 30 minute intervals, you have to use Direct Query.

That's the way it is. Sorry. To do what you want, 100% in the cloud, you'd need an Azure SQL table, the write a small Power Apps front end to it to allow your users to update it. Then write a Direct Query report on top of it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And the On Demand is there largely for testing. Not for users to get new data. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

You should move the data to SQL Server or a source that supports Direct Query. Then the data is always live. With A Power BI Pro license, you are limited to 8 refreshes of a report per day, so even if you schedule it to be done every 30 min, that only gets you 4 hours of refreshed time.

See this article for a full list of databases that support Direct Query. Sharepoint isn't one of them.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

@edhans wrote:

You should move the data to SQL Server or a source that supports Direct Query. Then the data is always live. With A Power BI Pro license, you are limited to 8 refreshes of a report per day, so even if you schedule it to be done every 30 min, that only gets you 4 hours of refreshed time.

See this article for a full list of databases that support Direct Query. Sharepoint isn't one of them.

I read about it. My account is PRO. We can not migrate to a SQL Server. Countless people use the sharepoint list to update information all the time. I did not want to have to use a javascript, map the refresh on demand option. I wanted something more simple and functional. Sharepoint is part of Microsoft's tools. I do not understand why there is not a refresh with less time.

bout it. My account is PRO. We can not migrate to a SQL Server. Countless people use the sharepoint list to update information all the time. I did not want to have to use a javascript, map the refresh on demand option. I wanted something more simple and functional. Sharepoint is part of Microsoft's tools. I do not understand why there is not a refresh with less time.

Because with a direct query, the refresh is really happening at the server level. Sharepoint cannot do that, nor can Excel files, or other similar Microsoft solutions. SQL Server has its own processing engine.

If they allowed 5min refreshes with unlimited refreshes per day. MS would need to spend tens of millions on upgrading their servers and cloud services that support Power BI to handle the workload.

But they don't care what you do to your servers, which is why they support direct query for data sets that need essentially live data. But the source has to have its own engine, as SQL Server, Oracle, Azure SQL, and a few dozen others do. Sharepoint does not.

@edhans wrote:

bout it. My account is PRO. We can not migrate to a SQL Server. Countless people use the sharepoint list to update information all the time. I did not want to have to use a javascript, map the refresh on demand option. I wanted something more simple and functional. Sharepoint is part of Microsoft's tools. I do not understand why there is not a refresh with less time.

Because with a direct query, the refresh is really happening at the server level. Sharepoint cannot do that, nor can Excel files, or other similar Microsoft solutions. SQL Server has its own processing engine.

If they allowed 5min refreshes with unlimited refreshes per day. MS would need to spend tens of millions on upgrading their servers and cloud services that support Power BI to handle the workload.

But they don't care what you do to your servers, which is why they support direct query for data sets that need essentially live data. But the source has to have its own engine, as SQL Server, Oracle, Azure SQL, and a few dozen others do. Sharepoint does not.

I understand your explanation, but the point is, if there is an option that allows you to update on demand, why not allow it to be scheduled? That is the question. I can update on demand from minute to minute.

Because every refresh requires Microsoft servers to work. Direct Query does not. So MS limits it to 30 minute intervals to prevent their servers from being overloaded by the millions of users that use Power BI. To get below 30 minute intervals, you have to use Direct Query.

That's the way it is. Sorry. To do what you want, 100% in the cloud, you'd need an Azure SQL table, the write a small Power Apps front end to it to allow your users to update it. Then write a Direct Query report on top of it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And the On Demand is there largely for testing. Not for users to get new data. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.