Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kasun78
Helper I
Helper I

Auto Refresh file in Power BI

Hi,

I created some visualse in power BI desktop using a source file which is saved in my onedrive folder. Then I published that to power Bi web and created a dashboard using that.

My requirement is to autorefresh my file when I update the onedrive file in the folder.

I tried putting the powerbi file to onedrive and then schedule a refresh from there. But I'm getting a "Failed to update data source credential error"

Can someone please help me with this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

If error message is linked to credentials problems, maybe you should check them ?

In Data Source parameters, you have a button to check credentials :

TempPBI07_ModifAutoSource.png

The screenshoy is in french but you have the same button, at the same place in english 😉

Let us know

PS : Your One Drive is a One Drive Pro or a Personnal one, 'cause auto refresh works only with One Drive Business. Check as well that your source is referenced as http:... and not C:/user...

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

If error message is linked to credentials problems, maybe you should check them ?

In Data Source parameters, you have a button to check credentials :

TempPBI07_ModifAutoSource.png

The screenshoy is in french but you have the same button, at the same place in english 😉

Let us know

PS : Your One Drive is a One Drive Pro or a Personnal one, 'cause auto refresh works only with One Drive Business. Check as well that your source is referenced as http:... and not C:/user...

Hi @Aillery,

I check this in my power BI destop and there I can see all the credentials are correct and my one drive is not personal. It's business. i can see https in the beginning of the source reference. And also i can refresh the file from power BI desktop without any issue. my problem is after publishing I'm unable to refresh.

Hi @Kasun78 ,

In that case you should not "need" anything else than the Auto Refresh you can set on your Dataset.

On PBI Service, go to your dataset, and set parameters for auto refresh.

It should do the trick.

Never tried with a Power Automate so can't tell you more.

Hi @AilleryO 

Unfortunately I'm still getting that error.

how to post a screenshot here? I'll show the error that is coming

Hi @Kasun78 ,

You can post a link to a screnshot 😉

Still error about credentials ?

yes. that credential error is still there.

Hi @Kasun78 ,

Did you try to re-enter your credentials, in the above window ? (Change or Modify credentials button)

If event though you re-enter the good credentials,

it is still not working,

then you should try to re-connect to your source file.

Let us know

Hi @AilleryO,

But if I can refresh the file withour any error in the power BI desktop that means there aren't any credential errors. isn't it?

Maybe your published version as a problem with the credentials, not your local...

Hi @AilleryO 

I think there was a problem with my credentials. as you mentioned i entered it but this time usin oauth2 method and it worked. Thank you for your help

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Kasun78 

You can do it with power automate (flows) as per below

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/refresh-your-power-bi-dataset-using-microsoft-flow/

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I made the flow as follows.

Whena file is modified (OneDrive) --> Refresh a data set (Preview)

Then i modified the file which i've saved in one drive and in the flow run I can see that the flow has run after I made the midification.

but still my powerbi hasn't updated.

Is there anything that I'm doing wrong?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.